• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Half Cab Spare Tire Mounting

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Looking to see what everyone is running for a spare tire mount in their half cabs. I am leaning towards mounting it in the bed like Stacey David's Crazy Horse. I know the mounting system did not hold up but it has been resigned. I do like the look of the spare sitting in the tiny bed like that. Just looking for options. The spare is going to be a 35 at first and grow to a 37.
Thanks

knack

Contributor
Here's a picture of mine. Only a 32" tire though. By the time you get to a 37" it might be blocking most of the window mounted in this position.

Attachments

• IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 93

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey Broncoin, trust me don't put it in the bed!!!, It looks good and it's neat. The builder did re-do that one for Stacey and it works great, but the "Horse" has 35's and there is not much room for anything else in that little bed, well there's also 2 battery boxes and the roll bar there.

I'm gonna have the spare hanging off the rear of the one I'm building now!! FWIW!!!%)%)%)

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Just put some eye-bolts or tie-downs in the 4 corners of the bed and ratchet-strap it down flat. Having a 35-37" tire upright in the bed or hanging off the back does seriously block rear vision. That's the way I usually carry my spare.

OP
OP
BroncoinAlaska

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Hey Broncoin, trust me don't put it in the bed!!!, It looks good and it's neat. The builder did re-do that one for Stacey and it works great, but the "Horse" has 35's and there is not much room for anything else in that little bed, well there's also 2 battery boxes and the roll bar there.

I'm gonna have the spare hanging off the rear of the one I'm building now!! FWIW!!!%)%)%)

Can you take some detailed pics of the spare setup on Crazy Horse. Maybee a pictue of the obstructed view with the 35 in place.

BuffDragon

Loc.
CenTex
I'm curious as well.
I've got a toolbox in the back of my halfcab and it takes about half the "bed" up so there's no room for a spare laying down.
I'm planning on building some kind of bumper mounted rack for mine.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey Broncoin, give me a day or so. I unload my dog stuff behind the Horse and can't get it out of the basement. Maybe tonight or in the morning.;D;D

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Here ya' go!!!%)%)

The top of the tire is about 31" from the floor, the rear of the tire is about 4" from the floor and the back of the bracket is about 5" from the tailgate. You could probably set your tire on a milk crate and get an idea, it's about a 45* angle. Hope this helps!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Attachments

• FSCN2653.JPG
    FSCN2653.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 31
  • FSCN2655.JPG
    FSCN2655.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 36
  • FSCN2657.JPG
    FSCN2657.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 30
  • FSCN2659.JPG
    FSCN2659.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN2662.JPG
    DSCN2662.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN2664.JPG
    DSCN2664.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN2666.JPG
    DSCN2666.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 30

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
We'll Ben I see you had the ole' sliver bullet transporter keeping you company on the photo shoot. Good thing it was there, it's a long trip to the fridge from there!!!;D

OP
OP
BroncoinAlaska

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Here ya' go!!!%)%)

The top of the tire is about 31" from the floor, the rear of the tire is about 4" from the floor and the back of the bracket is about 5" from the tailgate. You could probably set your tire on a milk crate and get an idea, it's about a 45* angle. Hope this helps!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Thanks for the super quick response. I like the looks. How much dose it block the visability out of the back window. I tend to not use the side mirrors since the half cab on. Seems like the Bronco got smaller when I swiched tops.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
We'll Ben I see you had the ole' sliver bullet transporter keeping you company on the photo shoot. Good thing it was there, it's a long trip to the fridge from there!!!;D

Hey Brett, that little cooler is about all that will fit!!!

Hey Broncoin, pic #4 is with my 3500 sittin behind the "Horse", I'm 6'5" and I tried to get some pics from inside & the rearview mirror, but it would not be the same for everyone, that's why I suggested you mock your spare up to get "your" view or lack of!!!:cool::cool::cool: