• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Half Cabs From Aftermarket-

robsredford

I Have A Weakness For Half Cabs, I Believe Terra Comp And Kentrol Both Have Them, Has Anybody Got One From Either Vendor? Is It Authentic Looking? Well Built/finished? Etc.. I Spoke With Lonnie At Tom's And I Believe They Have Their Own With Glass And Ws..has Anybody Got One Of This And Whadda Ya Think? Lonnie Wants Less Than 800 With New Back Glass And Rubber...most Folks Want Bout That Or More For A Factory One That Has A Few Issues...thanks Rob

BroncGuy7710

Loc.
Louisville Ky
I've seen a bunch of all the fiberglass aftermarket ones. They've all looked really good so far. I've only seen 1 or 2 aftermarket steel ones and they lolokeed good as well. They are SO expensive though! i plan on cutting down my Hard Top.
good luck to ya!
Tyler

Dachy

Loc.
San Diego, CA.
i'm very skeptical of those fiberglass ones, they look like one little roll over incident, or any impact to the top and that sucker is going to crack up all over the place and there goes your money. i'd hunt for a decent steel one that needs some work cause you can always bang steel back into place... or cut a full top down. i got lucky, traded my 347 stroker for a half cab, tranny, motor, and some other parts ;D

bronx

Loc.
Austin, TX
Dachy said:
i'm very skeptical of those fiberglass ones, they look like one little roll over incident, or any impact to the top and that sucker is going to crack up all over the place and there goes your money. i'd hunt for a decent steel one that needs some work cause you can always bang steel back into place... or cut a full top down. i got lucky, traded my 347 stroker for a half cab, tranny, motor, and some other parts ;D

I don't think it would matter much after a roll over. A fiberglass or steel top would be toast. I don't think you should choose, or rely on a top based on how it will handle a roll over, that is what a roll cage is for. As for the weight of the top, call terra comp and ask them (www.terracomp.us). Julie or Russell will answer the phone, and they will be more than happy to give all the specs of their products. I have a complete fiberglass body minus the top from terra comp, and every part is signifantly lighter than the steel counterpart.

Bronx

BroncGuy7710

Loc.
Louisville Ky
Yea, the fiberglass tops are WAY lighter. Their biggest disadvantage is they get body damage MUCH easier and it is much harder to repair. I want a full fiberglass body, and with the weight i am saving by not using steel, i want to build a full exoskeleton. anyone try that??

Last edited:

bronx

Loc.
Austin, TX
BroncGuy7710 said:
Yea, the fiberglass tops are WAY lighter. Their biggest disadvantage is they get body damage MUCH easier and it is much harder to repair. I want a full fiberglass body, and with the weight i am saving by not using steel, i want to build a full exoskeleton. anyone try that??

Here's the cage your looking for: http://completeoffroad.com/wsm/i-12...ml?PHPSESSID=d834d41c2ad5d200d6bdc26a4d1ef278

Fiberglass is stronger than you think, yes it doesn't bend like metal, but it can take harder hits without damage compaired to steel. If you punched the side of my bronco you would break your fist and cause no damage to the body, the fiberglass would bounce back. With a steel body if you did the same you would probably still break your fist, but leave a dent in the side.

Bronx

Last edited:

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
BroncGuy7710 said:

The kentrol fiberglass tubs are not much if any lighter than the steel tub IMO, My kentrol tub is built like a brick Sh@@ House 1/2" thick in some areas and steel reiforced. My experience with the glass bronco are the new style fiberglass tubs hold up very well in offroad abuse conditions. On several occasions where I would have dented panels, the fiberglass took the hit without damage. On the few occasions I did damage the glass, The fix was very easy to patch, because there is no cave in damage. Now again I have not rolled my truck, so I don't know how it would fair in that case, But I do have a full cage to the frame, so hopefully I would fair well ;D and thats what counts. I and a few of my friends have wheeled the heck out of our glass broncos and have seen no ill effects of stress cracks or anything. Mine has been wheeled for 8 years and going.

Tyler, I believe you seen my glass copper bronco wheel at attica, and the Grabber Blue glass bronco was my buddies. I hammer mine pretty good :eek: