• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hard top fit question

bflippinw

I bought a nice hardtop last year that came from an Arizona truck and from what I can tell its had no body work to it except for a paint over. I dug all the seam sealer out if the drip rail and it seemed factory- it was blue in color. The sealer was built up in the corners to about 3/8ths inch and hardly any in the middle areas of the top. Was the drip rail originally not flat but dropped down at the corners of the roof? I'm trying to do panel fitment. The passenger side seems bent down a little towards the windshield frame so I'm trying to get that straighter but the entire top seems to angle down at the corners- is that right. I'm putting some pics up with a 6' level on the drip rail. Also, the little sheet metal tabs that fold over the drip rail seams are rusted. The rest of the top is nice. Do you guys just replace the little tabs with a new piece of metal and spot weld it? Thanks, Bob. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393974112.708848.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393974128.118373.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393974148.914746.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393974168.454208.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393974186.652436.jpg

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The corners being lower is pretty much how they all are. Any rust on an Az body is only surface rust where water gets into tight places. When you get the paint off you may not have to do much more than seal and paint.

mcknight77

Loc.
Caldwell, ID
Have you replaced the body bushings?

If one or more is compressed due to age, it will affect other things. Until I replaced mine I couldn't get anything to line up, like doors, top, etc. After they were replaced, it was easier.

OP
OP
B

bflippinw

All bushings replaced and even shimming them to get gaps right. Wondering if top was bent at all from sitting on previous body..?