• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hard top storage ideas? Suggestions anyone?

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

It was hot an sunny today in Los Angeles, I looked up and thought it's almost been 1 month with the top on. It's been so quite with the top on I almost forgot about it.

Normally it's only on 2, maybe 3 months out of the year but. . .

OH NO!

It's too nice to store in the back yard on those 4 old stumps under a tarp!

WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!

The top was media blasted, painted inside and out. The windows have new tint and new weather stripping. It's so nice, it doesn't even leak and there is no silicon in the rain rail.

WHAT WAS I THINKING?

Any suggestions? Unfortunately I do not have any indoor garage space to store it.

Thanks,
Chris
:cool: HHMMM...

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
A cable lift in the garage. Easy on, easy off, easy store.

Someone here did one not to long ago.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202908&highlight=hard+top+neighbors

4-5 eye bolts in the ceiling studs.
4-5 Pulleys
Some 1/4" cable
some bracing for the inside of the top
Hand crank comealong / trailer winch.

They make one for Jeeps that costs around 200. Powered version is a little more.
Something like these:
http://www.hoister.com/
http://www.hoistlifts.com/hard-top-hoist/jeep/

Mine probably isn't going to fit in the garage, so maybe at the shop or in the car port with a rolling hard top cart like we use for Corvettes and Tbirds.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Thank you Guys!, keep the ideas coming and thanks asinor for the links.

If only I had a garage...

Knifemaker

Loc.
Youngsville, La.
I can store it on my ride for you just ship it on over. Maybe if you on a small budget get a hold of some pallets throw a sheet of plywood on it frame it more plywood and you got a little building.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
BronCowie,
I'd put it in the living room above the carpet kit, next back seats, and the 2008 Mustang leather seats but I don't think it will fit though the front door.

TN1776, do you work for China or a plastic company? That is an interesting idea, I've never seen one of those before. ;)

Knifemaker, you've got an interesting idea...hmm...

If only the sides could unbolt, then maybe I could fit in the living room behind the TV against the wall.

:cool:

PS BrocCowie, I just saw your gallery, nice Bronco and that is a great place to store the hard top. Maybe I should move to a place with a garage?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
use it for your dog shelter.
Yes they are bulky to store. I have one taking up driveway space til I get a finish coat of paint on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Madgyver, well to be honest... there were a few rainy nights when the dogs did use it as an outhouse. Mine took up the side yard til all the black widows moved in but now it's all pretty and clean so I just couldn't put it back there again, it would just be wrong.

ren71

Get a shed from craigslist or a new one from home depot etc., costco had a nice one last time i was there.

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
don't have 80000 sq feet of warehouse that is 30 ft tall and store it on the top shelf. it can set there for years and get moved by yourself several times with no problems. one day it is moved and has broken windows and bent everything and no one in the warehouse knows what happened. ask me how i know. by the way it was mint and the foreman doesn't know what happened but is willing to pay for it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well it sux to not have a garage man.. Bet you can figure out something though :)

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
...PS BrocCowie, I just saw your gallery, nice Bronco and that is a great place to store the hard top. Maybe I should move to a place with a garage?

Yeah (all sarcasm asside) my wife sold me on this house because it had a four car garage with shop area.

Another option is to sell it and go soft top full time, that's what I did 2 years ago even though I have plenty of storage room.

Last edited: