• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hardtop instalation after fresh paint

mr110

Hi Everyone.

I just finished a respray of my truck less than a week ago. I need to put the hardtop back on becasue i am leaving for a month. I just need it on there for storage (so it needs to be assembled but not super rock solid. Ive got no other place to put it and need to keep any oregon rain out.

Any tips on how to protect the paint from the hardtop?

If figured so far:
Heavy amount of painters tape on both sides.
maybe moving blanket between the body and the top.

Any other tips?

1970 Palmer

Please do not leave the masking tape stuck to new paint for more than a day or two. You will be hating life after you come back in a month or two and try to remove it.

Also I would not lay any kind of tarp or plastic cover on the new top paint for a extended period. Dirt and dust accumulates between the cover and the paint and it will mar the paint.

If you cannot store it inside, maybe a carport?

How about two 2 x 4's across the truck bed, then set the top on the boards.

OP
OP
M

mr110

Please do not leave the masking tape stuck to new paint for more than a day or two. You will be hating life after you come back in a month or two and try to remove it.

Also I would not lay any kind of tarp or plastic cover on the new top paint for a extended period. Dirt and dust accumulates between the cover and the paint and it will mar the paint.

If you cannot store it inside, maybe a carport?

How about two 2 x 4's across the truck bed, then set the top on the boards.

I will be putting a car cover over it, and im not worried too much about marring. the paint is going to need ALOT of wet sanding to remove some firstimers orange peel in the paint. I was thinking moving blankets between the paint and the hardtop?

MrT

How about camper top seal stuck to tye hardtop tgen put it on. I think Home depot gas some pretty wide stuff tgat may work.

OP
OP
M

mr110

How about camper top seal stuck to tye hardtop tgen put it on. I think Home depot gas some pretty wide stuff tgat may work.

that would work perfectly. and its $6 for 30 feet. i didnt realize it came that wide.

Bronco4x4

The fresh paint will be imprinted from whatever goes on top. Maybe build a wood stand inside the EB to support the top with the cover over all.

Bronco4x4

You can also build a PVC pipe stand inside the EB to hold up the cover with a tarp on top (with bungees) and store the hardtop seperately.

I have a PVC pipe stand for my 14’ boat tarp and it sheds water good.