• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hardtop Liftgate removal issues

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Hey Everyone - bought a hardtop that needs restoring. missing glass in liftgate. I am trying to remove the liftgate at the hinges by removing the hinge screws at the top. Sprayed the rusted bolts twice and let it soak but they are frozen and wont budge. Thinking of drilling them out but concerned that I wont be able to put new bolts back in later if I destroy the threads in the hardtop. Any suggestions or tricks to removing the liftgate?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
The screws go into removable metal plates in the top. I'm sure you could find some plates or make some if needed. If you can, just leave the hinge attached to the gate.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Thanks. Initial t looked like the screws go into welded tabs or something fixed in the top. Will take another look.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Good suggestions above, and I have found the cordless 1/4" impact drills are amazing for stuff like this.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Thanks everyone. I was trying the screws on the liftgate side of the hinge by hand for fear of stripping the heads but they wont bugde. What do you think about the eassy out reverse drill bits? considering that but know they have budged so could be a waste of time and have no screw head after trying...

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Thanks. Initial t looked like the screws go into welded tabs or something fixed in the top. Will take another look.

I just removed mine recently. They are wavy metal plates and they will come out.

Best solvent I have found for rusted bolts is a mix of transmission fluid and acetone...

THEBONE

Try this: Apply some heat to the screw, then put a little valve grinding compound in the screw head for grip, then attach a pair of vice-grips to your screw driver for better turning power, then try to turn. Works for me most of the time.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
You are redoing it, take the torch to the bolts and heat them up to break the rust bond

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
alright, some good suggestions here. back to the lab tomorrow for another try. Thanks again everyone.

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
Just cut the bolts. You'll need new bolts and nuts anyways. I always take the metal tab out of the top and weld my nuts to the wavy metal plate. Make it easy to screw back on.