• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hardtop Removal - Structural Integrity

NYCBronco

I am thinking about taking the hardtop off my '72. Truck is pretty solid and the doors open and close perfectly. She does have some bronco rust and one of the quarter panels is pretty bad. Should I be worried that this thing is going to flop such that opening and closing doors becomes a problem if I take the top off? How much structural integrity does the top provide?

Thanks.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
If the floors, rockers, and supports under the floors are good you shouldn't have any problems. If it were unibody you may have a problem but there really isn't much weight there and it is supported by the frame pretty well. If it isn't sagging in the floor support area now it should be fine. Hope you have at least a roll bar, the top is the only thing that keeps you safe. :)

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
2Bad pretty much covered it. The frame provides the majority of the structural support so as long as the mounts to it from the body and the body itslef are good it will not be an issue. I personally don't thing the top provides enough protection even with it on to run without a roll bar so I emphatically agree that you need to have at least a roll bar and preferably a roll cage to run without the top.

73orangebronco

You probably want to be more concerned about how the Bronco body contributes to the structural integrity of the top. They can be very floppy if you're not careful. The gussets in the rear are very important and if you pull the back corners around too much, you can bust loose the spot welds. Unless the body is eaten by rust, it should stand up on its own. A roll bar will help a great deal though.