• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hardtop Removal System??? DIY--NEED PICS

blankenship76

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
I have seen a few pictures on here over the last few months(but can't find them now) where people have set-up of ropes, pulleys, and a winch to remove there hardtops.

I was wondering if anyone had a link or a picture of their set-up, I want to mount soemthing on my garage ceiling, so I can put on/remove the top by myself

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Try searching on FullSizeBronco.com; it's a popular subject there, and there are several writeups with pics.

But it boils down to some kind of winch, possibly with some pulleys, going to a spreader (rigid frame about the size of the top) with hooks hanging down to catch near the corners.

I just got a Weekly Special e-mail from Harbor Freight advertising an 880 lb 110V winch for $100 (item 44006) BEFORE July 4.

Of course, it's backordered... %) If you want to print the coupon, here it is:

Last edited:

7elk

Loc.
Albuquerque
I tried to send pics before and couldn't but I have mine set up in the garage with pulleys from Lowe's. One at each corner with hooks, works like a charm.

Stock68

I made custom forks that bolt to my tractor bucket. Go in through the liftgate. Works great.

hammer

Bronco Guru
Can't post pics cause I don't live in the house I had this set up in anymore. But basically I anchored a piece of 2x6 across three studs in my garage ceiling with a pulley attached into it with a nut and washer on the top side. then another pulley where the wall and ceiling meet, down to a hand winch mounted on the wall. I then took two straps down to the local shoe maker and had him cut and resew them to the lengths i needed in order to lift the top level. Grabbed it around the top rear of the door and just in front of the rear posts.

Louie

Bronco Guru
Here's the basic "1 person, 2x4 & eye bolt, ratchet strap system". I just park the Bronco underneath & ya just cinch it up 6" at a time on the corners until it's close to the ceiling. It's been working well for me for years :eek:

Attachments

• sm hardtop storage 1.JPG
    sm hardtop storage 1.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 335
  • sm hardtop storage 2.JPG
    sm hardtop storage 2.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 301

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Here's a pic of my system.

Attachments

• MessinWithSasquatch_2-full.jpg
    MessinWithSasquatch_2-full.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 54

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Used these on mine at the old house..

Attachments

• Top Store.jpg
    Top Store.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 3496.jpg
    3496.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Topless.jpg
    Topless.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 217

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I grab a buddy and the two of us just lift it off and set it aside. It isn't heavy -

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Here's my system. I've had it for 17 years next month, and it gets better the longer I've had it. The maintenance is a bit costly, though.... ;D

Attachments

• Boy.jpg
    Boy.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 50

matt w

Bronco Guru
Here's the basic "1 person, 2x4 & eye bolt, ratchet strap system". I just park the Bronco underneath & ya just cinch it up 6" at a time on the corners until it's close to the ceiling. It's been working well for me for years :eek:

..That my friend is a great idea!...& again I love this site for this kind of advice!;D Good Job!

rmoore

Loc.
Plano, TX
Here is mine

Pretty basic setup, eyebolts, some cable and an ATV winch from Target for about $75. Have less than $100 in it, works great! I hook the ATV winch to my battery and up it goes. Chain secures it for long-term storage and takes weight off the winch.

Hope this helps!

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1336.JPG
    IMG_1336.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 146

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
I am a little old fashion. I used these badboys to help me lift it up. Harnessing them is a little tricky.

Attachments

• moto_0450.jpg
    moto_0450.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 76