• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

have any of you made your own body lift?

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
i was searching around for deals on body lifts and got to thinking that maybe i can make my own out of round stock and weld in 1/4" caps on either end. is this doable? my PO said that mine had a 2" body lift, which it does but its made out of 2x2 square tubing! lol if i can do this, what diameter of pipe do i need to get to do this? how big aroung are the plastic ones that you can get from vendors? need info and opinions!

Thanks,

John

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
I've seen them made out of round stock steel and alluminum, mine is made from 2 stacked hockey pucks, hell I've even seen them made from pressure treated 2x4's if you wanna go real redneck!!

Just depends on the material you have available and your ability to work it. I usually try to stay about the same dia as the body mount.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I pieced together a BL by purchasing parts from various places (eBay, local hardware stores, etc). After multiple trips to the hardware store and way too much time invested it was clear to me that I should have just purchased a kit from the vendors. I think I even spent more money than they were asking. I dont think its worth the time or effort to build one yourself.

Last edited:

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Body lifts are cheap just buy a complete kit from a vendor. Like Heus said you will spedn more time making it than its worth. But yes guys have made body lifts and it can be done I too had a bronco that had a 2" body lift made from 2" square stock. It looked like crap!

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i made one in high school. it just isn't worth the time with the prices of bodylifts now.

Amac70

ME
The easyiest i have seen is used roller skate wheels. Probably $5 bucks at the good will. pop the wheels off and easy 1.5-2 body lift. depending on the wheel. Your still going to spend 20-30 bucks on bolts washers and nuts. There should be a list on this site as to what lengths are needed.

Deano

Bronco Guru
I made all my body lifts out of solid stainless steel. 3"OD stock and drilled a hole in the center. It was a bit expensive but it looks great when you polish them up.

HollywoodC

I like this thread, I was always curious to know the same thing. Great question Johnnybgood74, Thanks.

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
I built mine different from most. Stated with 2.5" or 2.0" tubing, cut to whatever length for the lift. Then with a 3.5" hole saw, I cut out of 1/8 plate for the top. Drill out the center hole 1/2" and weld a 1/2" nut to the the plate. Then weld the plate to the pipe. Bolt it to the body, set the body down on the frame , where it's going to live, and weld the pipe to the frame/ body mount. I' ve used old conveyer belt as a cushion, and this design lets me use a 1/2 bolt that is much shorter then the ones used in kits. I've rolled mine mud racing and it never moved, so I think it is plenty strong. It may not be for everyone, I like to build / weld / fabricate stuff.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Mine was an accident. The PO had used these godawful boat rollers, so at least I already had good grade 8 bolts I cut 2" dia galvanized pipe then put progressively smaller PVC pipe into the 2"pipe to center up the bolt. They were meat to be temporary while I squared up the body. I ended up leaving them as I didn't see any objectional ride issues, so I guess one day when my estate sells the Bronco the new ower can cuss me. :)

OP
OP
johnnybgood74

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
Good ideas. im with 357Bronco, i just like to weld and fabricate stuff. dont really care if it is more expensive or not, as long as it keeps me busy!

OP
OP
johnnybgood74

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
hey thanks Nick! that helps me alot! LOL i guess i can just pull out the ones that are in there now and match them. just thought it would be easier if i had measurements and went down and bought them. lol