• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Have found a Dana 44 w/ disks, but bare?

71HLFCAB

Loc.
Blairsville, Ga
I have found an EB Dana 44 with disks (ch*vy) and 4.88 gears for sale on pirate4x4 . But the guy that has it was going to use it on a Heep. He removed the c wedges and the spring perches from the axle. How hard is it to put the c wedges and spring perches back on the axle? Is there some kind of trick to it or what? Thanks, Casey

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
You can buy new wedges from some of the vendors. They have to be welded on. Not sure if you can buy new spring perches, but you should be able to find some. If you can weld, it would be easy to put everything back on.

70_Steve

Old Guy
On James Duff site:

Axle Wedges
For the Bronco owner that is swapping front axles, these wedges make it much easier. No need to cut up a good front axle just for parts. These wedges are designed to weld onto a 2 3/4” O.D. tube, just like a factory Early Bronco Dana 44 but are easily modified to fit onto 3” O.D. tubing found on high pinion Dana 44 and Dana 60. Cast with all the correct configurations to fit the inside of a C bushing exactly like original.
#5340 Axle Wedges, $75

5340.jpg

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The spring perches are bolted to the radius arms after they're in place on the axle. The sheep guy just thinks he cut them off 'cause there aren't any on the axle.

OP
OP
71HLFCAB

71HLFCAB

Loc.
Blairsville, Ga
Also, can I twist or turn the axle housing before I weld on the c wedges to help the angle of the front driveshaft, or would it be worth it. Thanks again

70_Steve

Old Guy
I would think the biggest concern over where to weld the wedges on would be the ability to achieve proper front end alignment, specifically caster. The only way to maintain proper caster and improve driveshaft angle is to turn the knuckles.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Yes, but don't do it. For every degree you improve the drive shaft angle, you worsen your caster angle by the exact same amount.
What you should do since it's already out of the Bronco and being welded on anyway, is have the knuckles cut off. Then weld on the wedges for best drive shaft angle. Then weld the knuckles back on at the best caster angle.