• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heat shield on proportioning valve

guilty1

Contributor
Completing a complete resto on a 76 sport. How many of you guys are using some sort of heat shield on your proportioning valve? Im running a 351w with long tube ceramic headers. Valve sits pretty close to headers in stock position. Wondering if some sort of shield would prevent problems or not worth it? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

PDQ

Contributor
While I am running the 302, I am worried about the proximity to the headers as well. I have heard some have moved the prop valve to the tire side of the fenderwell, or, I am going to try a set up like the link below where the valve is mounted to a bracket that is attached to the master, then run new lines down to the front block and rear lines from there.

I'll be following this thread for other ideas.

Thanks.

https://www.performanceonline.com/FORD-PROPORTIONING-VALVE-KIT-WITH-AC-DELCO-VALVE/

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
This is where I mounted mine. When it was in the stock location ,my headers kept killing it.

Attachments

• new brake 001.jpg
    new brake 001.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 119

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I wrapped the headers in the Bronco. That helps with under hood heat as well as keeping the proportioning valve and brake lines/fuel lines/etc. cool. With the wrap you can almost hold onto the headers with the motor running. I can touch them without getting burned anyway. I know it voids the warranty but, the benefits outweigh the downsides for me.
Mark.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I forgot to add, that on my '75 Highboy, I did make a heatshield for the proportioning valve/brake lines on the (unwrapped) headers. I used a piece of stainless cut to the profile of the headers, (sort of a V shape) that I welded standoffs to, for airspace between the tubes and shield. I used a piece of the adhesive heat barrier on the outside of the stainless to keep any radiant heat off the valve/lines. I cut slots in the stainless to slide stainless hose clamps around the header tubes to hold it in place. With the shield in place the air temps on the outside are almost the same as the ambient temps. The added bonus is it also keeps the heat off the fuel line.
Mark.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
The best spot I've seen is mounting it underneath the master cylinder.

Bronco4x4

I'm using BCB shorty headers and stock prop. valve location. No problems so far. Thanks for the post. I plan to see if this needs a shield after a good run time check.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
I’ve got long tube headers on a 351. Have a heat shield at stock location. No issues.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've got a 351 with long headers. Never had a problem with the h-block on the frame with no shield.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I've got a 351 with long headers. Never had a problem with the h-block on the frame with no shield.
The h block is different than the proportioning valve, doesn't it change the pressure for the disk brakes conversion, where the h block just turns on the emergency brake light and if you have a pressure change between front or back brakes.

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
I have a pic of the heat shield, disc prop valve and bracket. I used 3/8 spacers between the shield and the valve. I have a 3.8 v6 in mine, but the 2 cylinders are missing in front, so the back is basically a small block, manual trans, in stock location. Those are 96 mustang v6 aftermarket headers, modded a bit. No issues with heat so far.

Attachments

• SAM_0699.jpg
    SAM_0699.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 61