• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help! Body Removal for Body-Off Resto

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I am looking for some ideas on how to remove the body for a body-off restoration. I will be performing this in my home garage with a 10' ceiling but the stinkin' garage door is in the way so I can't use the full 10'.
I have heard of using an engine crane with chains crossing the tub. I also thought of mounting some kind of lifting eye to the ceiling and properly bracing it in the attic. A chainfall would then lift it straight off the frame.
I haven't though of any ideas that sit well with me yet. How did you do yours?
Also, how much does the body weigh with the doors, top, tailgate, windshield, hood, and seats removed? Would a 2 ton engine crane extended out to the 1/2 ton length be sufficient or would I be pushing it?
How far off the frame am I going to have to lift the body before I can swing it over and place it on the ground? I figure about 3'.
How much does the engine weigh? Eventually I am going to have to pull it out also.
Thanks for your help. I'm interested to see how you backyard engineers accomplished this feat!

OP
OP
scottmcwms

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Is it best to remove the engine before taking off the body?

I'm not sure I want to remove the engine, but maybe I need to inspect the motor mounts seeing as the rest of the metal is badly rusted out. This is all new to me so any advice you can give would be great.

BTW thanks for the pics. :cool:

stretchstick

If you are going to keep the front clip in-tact, I would remove the engine and any t-case shifters you can before removal. I think the hoist would work, but would recomend doing it outside. Don't forget to brace the tub from door post to stiker post and across the rear quarter panels. Good luck and have fun!!

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
I used the engine hoist method, but did not build an elaborate attachement mechanism. be SURE to brace the door openings. I then did a X using 2x4 from the door posts to opposite tail light posts. Then just 4 chains going to the 2nd and 4th body mounts.

I left the engine/drivetrain in mine and I was still able to remove the body w/ a 10ft ceiling (stock springs and 33's) I only had to unbolt the X-case shifter.

I've got a picture in my gallery

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
When we mounted Hotwheels' body it was just lifted by 6 or 8 people and set down on the rolling chassis with engine in. I don't see why the same thing couldn't be done in reverse. Of course you'd want to remove as much as possible for weight. It'd be prudent to have something waiting to set it onto that wasn't too low down (saves everyone's backs).

RolledItAgain

I got the help of 3 friends and the 4 of us lifted the body with 2x4 running under the body. I was heavy!! but doable
If the motor is out, you do not need as much height to clear.

Good Luck