• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP HELP ... someone.... anyone... :)

brianlr7773

Hi all,

been comming to this site for a long time, love all the tech articles!! Anyway have not joined the message board till now......

Hope someone can help.. ok I am trying to solve my major VIN # problem . Problem being nobody can figure out what it belongs tooo so I am in a huge delima after owning this bronco for a few years and a complete body off resto and all the goods to make it a trail king. the vin was corrected by the previous owner on the title and is the REAL # off the trucks vin plate, which was the one on the truck and never had been off or removed. The truck is a 73 wagon sport, i bought it from my buddy 3 years ago, he purchased it from a friend in Utah.

Now the number is on the title correctly and such but everytime I go to the dmv or such they always say that they can't find anything via that number! (what a pain too, as if i have to tell you about dmv experinces) So i have repeatedly have had to go through a dmv inspection station to verify the number as accurate (yet another dmv nightmare) but like i said it is whats on the truck and they just cant figure the code out!! Now i just moved to the west coast and I am just absoulty not looking forward to anything to do with the dmv, title all that such around my parts because of the major problem with the dmv here. I would love to have an expliantion as to what the code on my vin # really reports to be.. Until i get it solved and documented I most likly will leave the vehcile titled in my old state and keep the reg current through them as well. ( thank goodness for friends back there).

but anyways, can someone figure this out cause so far i am not having luck

VIN # UQTGLR53905

YES it is very wierd because it does not give a number following the U!!!!

This is what i have been able to figure out

Build Month - March 1973 code# R53905
Assembly Plant - Michigan Truck Code #L
Engine - 302 cid, 8cyl code #G

So what the heck is the QT ?? I know the U is for the bronco series but everyplace i go to decode this vin reports it as unknown.. It should be like U15 or U14 ..etc... Anyone know????

Any Help would be more than appreciated!

Thanks
Brian
;)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I have a friend with similar issues on his 69 chevy truck. They told him his truck didn't exist out here in so cal because his motor was from a junked car. From his experience once you get it straightened out carry all paperwork in the truck. If the west coast is cali. deal with the dmv in sacramento on the phone and take names. The people at the local offices suck.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Are all the VIN number locations stamped the same??? The glovebox is not the only place for the vin.

Bama John

Loc.
Huntsville Alabama
Brian stated the glove box door wasnt the only place for the vin number,can someone fill us in on where the check digits and vin numbers would be besides the sticker in the door jam,Id like to check my 77

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
Right side, top of frame rail, I believe under the passenger side floorpan.

bpassmore

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Houston, TX
if you look down the firewall inside the hood, you can see it on top of the framerail (it you cleaned real nice and purdy) on the passenger side. It is also on top of the framerail by the gas tank (I think on the drivers side)

Good luck - also, did you try Marti Auto Works ? ( http://classicbroncos.com/vinreports.shtml )

later
bp

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D If you keep haveing this problen have dmv give you a new # and go from there. When I was still in Ca. I bought one from a dealer it had 3 different # on it and a new # by the state wich wes now a good # and I had no problems with it after that good luck with your's.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
B

brianlr7773

Bama John said:
Brian stated the glove box door wasnt the only place for the vin number,can someone fill us in on where the check digits and vin numbers would be besides the sticker in the door jam,Id like to check my 77

You are correct, the glove box door is not the only place for the vin # and I have personally checked the frame on the right top framerail for the vin # as well and it does match the glovebox..

Its soooooooo frustraiting, being told that the vin # is impossible.. or NO vin# has a Q in it or blah blah.... I sure hope someone here knows what it means or mabey knows a person that may know what it means....

OP
OP
B

brianlr7773

wildbill said:
;D ;D ;D If you keep haveing this problen have dmv give you a new # and go from there. When I was still in Ca. I bought one from a dealer it had 3 different # on it and a new # by the state wich wes now a good # and I had no problems with it after that good luck with your's.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

Yes I am sure that I can do that, but i sure am NOT looking forward to dealing with the dmv about it. I can see it being a HUGE ordeal to do that, and it kinda makes me upset because the vin # is the real one on the trucks frame, glovebox..etc.. and I hate thinking about changing the vin # because it wont be the true / real vin on the truck.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Maybe it is one of those "special" trucks. One of a kind...kind of a 1st runs.....

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
brian72 said:
Maybe it is one of those "special" trucks. One of a kind...kind of a 1st runs.....

That is what I was thinking too, perhaps something for the government (local, state or federal) or any of the alphabet soup agencies? Any information on that kind of stuff anywhere??:?

OP
OP
B

brianlr7773

Jeepster said:
Why dont you ask the guy that made it? Ford motor co.

all your #'s match so its reasonable to assume that it is what it is.
Or go here http://classicbroncos.com/vinreports.shtml

Either way its gonna cost you a couple bucks to get the truth.

Yeah, I am begining to think that may be the only way to find out anything about it. I am just worried i might spend the money only to find out that the vin can't be decoded or something. But sure would be cool to find out my truck was owned by Elivs or something :)

bpassmore

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Houston, TX
Ford will send you a build sheet/ report for free.
call their custoemr service desk
takes about 6 weeks though.
Marti (As I stated earlier) is the fastest best way.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
There was a guy on the Bfix list who had a similarly odd VIN. His Bronco is in Columbia so it could indicate it was an Export model.