• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help. i need two measurements

PeteO

Loc.
Tappahannock
first i need to weld v8 motor stands on my '66 frame. and dont know where.

and i need to know where to weld the rear spring hangers. old ones were rusted to shiat.

anyone have a frame blueprint or something like that?

Lttrbox

Loc.
IF
Can it wait till tomorrow. Im heading out now, but Ill be working on mine tomorrow and get the measurements for ya.

720Racer

Loc.
Auburn
I could help you with the rear spring hangers. Tell me exactly what you want measurements to, and I'll run out between rain drops and get you some numbers. As for the motor mounts, both of my broncos came with 6 cylinders originally. In my 66 the P.O. swapped the 302, but if you trust his work, I'll measure it for you. I measured the 6 cylinder transmission and adapter that came out of my 69, and I measured the np 435 and adapter that I bought (it came out of a EB) and it measures 1.75" longer, I'm not sure what the 6 cylinder bell housing, and 6 cylinder block measure up to. My 69 had a 289 bolted up to a 6 cylinder transmission, so I'll have to move my motor mounts forward about 1.75" to 2.0". Let me know if (and which) measurements would help.

Galen

OP
OP
P

PeteO

Loc.
Tappahannock
720Racer said:
I could help you with the rear spring hangers. Tell me exactly what you want measurements to, and I'll run out between rain drops and get you some numbers. As for the motor mounts, both of my broncos came with 6 cylinders originally. In my 66 the P.O. swapped the 302, but if you trust his work, I'll measure it for you. I measured the 6 cylinder transmission and adapter that came out of my 69, and I measured the np 435 and adapter that I bought (it came out of a EB) and it measures 1.75" longer, I'm not sure what the 6 cylinder bell housing, and 6 cylinder block measure up to. My 69 had a 289 bolted up to a 6 cylinder transmission, so I'll have to move my motor mounts forward about 1.75" to 2.0". Let me know if (and which) measurements would help.

Galen

if you would measure the rear spring hangers that would be great.

after posting i found the specs in the links above. thanks. do you know if i would have to move the trans crossmember using a 302 and c4? remember my frame is a 66.

720Racer

Loc.
Auburn
Pete,

I believe the frame years are all the same. Is your tub off? The safest way is to mount the transfer case, then the transmission and block. While you are holding the block in place with a cherry picker, bolt on the motor mounts, and brackets, then weld the brackets in place. I don't think there's any difference in the crossmember placement, because you will only find one listing (66-77) for drive lines. (If all years of stock rear drive lines are the same legnth, all years of transfercases are in the same location.)

The only measurement I didn't see on that link was rear spring hanger to rear end of frame. If your forward rear spring hangers are still ok, you wouldn't need that, but if you do, let me know.

Galen

OP
OP
P

PeteO

Loc.
Tappahannock
tgure, i looked at those frame specs and am a little iffy using them. the measurement from the trans crossmember to the drivers side motor stand is not close to where the v8 stand should be. it puts the stand at where the v6 mount was.

i found on the lonestarbroncoclub site a measure ment of 9" off the front crossmember. so thats where they sit. i got the tub off so getting it all in there should not be a problem.

if someone could get me the rear spring hanger measurement i would be greatful. thanks.

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
PeteO,

I went out and measured my V8 frame and here is what I got.

From rear of front crossmember to front of Passenger side V8 mount is 9"

From rear of front crossmember to front of Drivers side V8 mount is 8 3/4"

From the rear of the frame to rear of my rear spring mount is 7 1/2"

From the rear of the frame to the rear of my front spring mount is 54 1/2"

Hope this helps ;D

michael welch

Loc.
kent, washington
Why don't you reverse engineer the problem and assemble the t-case, tranny, bell and motor or bare block and set the motor mounts and put it in and bolt in the rear cross member and that will give you the exact spot for the towers, tack weld them to the frame and then remove all and weld them up solid?

720Racer

Loc.
Auburn
michael welch said:
Why don't you reverse engineer the problem and assemble the t-case, tranny, bell and motor or bare block and set the motor mounts and put it in and bolt in the rear cross member and that will give you the exact spot for the towers, tack weld them to the frame and then remove all and weld them up solid?

I was thinking the same thing (I thought I even suggested it, but it might have gotten lost in the mix).

Galen