• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me decide, 33x10.5 on 8" wheels or 33x12.5 on 8" wheels

tommyg

Contributor
I touched on this in a separate thread, but I'm having a really hard time deciding on a wheel/tire set-up. My truck has a 2 1/2" suspension lift, and will likely have a 1" body lift some time in the future. Right now it's riding on 31x10.5 tires (pictured below). I like the "stockish" look, and I've narrowed it down to 33x10.5 on 8" wheels or 33x12.5 on 8" wheels. I'm leaning towards the 10.5's due to the fact that I'm already getting rubbing on the radius arm with my current setup, and I'm sure it will only get worse with 12.5's, but I welcome feedback and input. This truck is 99% on road btw. I've scoured the forums and looked at pics frontwards and backwards, now I just need to make a choice. I welcome input and feedback.

Current setup:

y2d6h.jpg

30wxekx.jpg

33x12.5 with 8" wheel (thanks DeezNCSU):

2pq0z81.jpg

33x10 with 8" wheel:

rwjjm8.jpg

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I personally like the look of the wider wheel. It's really what you prefer though. Good luck with your decision.

Hank

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
Size of tires comes and goes with fashion trends. Back then, having tires that protruded out of the wheel well was the norm. My dad had an '87 mustang with fat tires that would stick out. We look at pictures now and just laugh. Tires that are tucked in at cleaner in appearance and probably aide a lot in keeping debris from chipping your paint. It's just your decision.

I like the thinner wheel, though! LOL

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
These are actually both the same wheel width, difference is the tire width.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 12.5" will look better IMHO but if you do a lot of highway driving you'll love a 10.5" tire better way manners on the hard pack stuff and a 10.5" also looks better on a 7" rim if you have a choice.

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
if primarily a driver I say 10.5's but on the other hand if your wheelin it much and the terrain you wheel in needs the extra floatation and traction I say the 12.5's.

so since you say 99% driver I would do the 10.5's, better road manners and being a slightly lighter tire with less contact area it should get slightly better mileage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
It's pretty much going to be on the road, but really only a weekend truck so I'm not overly worried about mileage or road manners unless it's a really noticeable difference.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I say the 10.5" tire. A little less rubbing and will be better on the street. Now finding a set of 33x 10.5"x 15" tires is getting harder to do these days.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have 2.5" sl and a 1" bl, poly bump stops with Warflares.
I run 10" wide wheels and 33 x 12.50" tires.
My tires do not rub except under the most articulated circumstances off road. Then only a little.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
Likely a dumb question, but what are poly bump stops?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have 2.5" sl and a 1" bl, poly bump stops with Warflares.
I run 10" wide wheels and 33 x 12.50" tires.
My tires do not rub except under the most articulated circumstances off road. Then only a little.

Your description on your signature says 3.5" sl

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
got it. pretty sure my shocks won't be bottoming out any time soon :)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If your going with an AT tread I would go with the 10.5 tire. If going with a MT type tread I would go with the 12.5 tire. I always felt the high end MT tire rode better than the AT tire. Lower tire pressure and softer side walls especially if running a 15 inch rim. I've had 3 sets of AT tread tires in my life and hated all of them. I have had 4 sets of MT tires and have liked 3 of the 4 sets. Currently running BFG Km2 33 x 12.5 x 15 on 8 inch steel wheels. They have a very nice ride.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Your description on your signature says 3.5" sl

Using a 3.5" JBG linear rate coils that are only providing 2.5" of lift but I love how they ride and flex.
I have a very heavy bumper, winch, winch mount, steel hood, Windsor, hard top. She is portly.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
If your going with an AT tread I would go with the 10.5 tire. If going with a MT type tread I would go with the 12.5 tire. I always felt the high end MT tire rode better than the AT tire. Lower tire pressure and softer side walls especially if running a 15 inch rim. I've had 3 sets of AT tread tires in my life and hated all of them. I have had 4 sets of MT tires and have liked 3 of the 4 sets. Currently running BFG Km2 33 x 12.5 x 15 on 8 inch steel wheels. They have a very nice ride.

Do you by chance have any pics of your rig with this setup? I appreciate it.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would do wider since you have the flairs. The 10.5s might look a little small since it woknt fill out the wheel well
My 35 s look small to me now. My wife's stock expedition tires are Are almosts as big
I really do like the look of the older f250s with the skinnies on it though
Find someone close and see if you can put a tire on from there truck

Green '70

Loc.
Wylie, Tx
Found a website somewhere that went into the physics and mathematical calculations for tire footprints and maximum traction. It far exceeded my ability to follow along but the final analysis indicated that a 10.5 actually had a bigger footprint when aired down than 12.5 running the same tire pressure. Bigger tire will give better flotation but not better rock traction. Narrower tire will definitely behave better on the road