• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Me Please just a quick question

Heather's 76

Can someone please tell me what else I may need to cover besides the dist. cap, the carburetor, watching out for electrical wiring and battery when trying to clean engine compartment on my 1976 Bronco? Please help I dont have the manual and cant find any pics either on the internet. Any help asap would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Heather

Bferrari

Very important to keep water out of the engine so seal off carburetor, breathers on the valve covers, make sure dip stick is in, etc. Want to try to keep water out of the distributer because it won't fire with water/moisture in there. Other than that, you should have no problem getting anything else wet.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
In addition to what's been said...

* power steering pump - make sure dipstick is sealed tight (if PS equipped)

* transmission fluid dipstick (if AT equipped)

* I'd take the belts off - if you get them wet or use any kind of engine cleaner, they might squeak after getting wet

*try not to super-soak the alternator - I'd wrap it with a bag or take it off

*ignition module / MSD / or whatever electronics are hooked to the distributor

*really anything electrical should be removed or at least wrapped up with a bag & tape

*watch out for any firewall holes / openings leading to your interior

DJs74

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bring a long a can of wd40 and If you get the distributer wet you can spray that inside to get the truck running again. She. You done wipe off all the wires with a towel to get them dry if you having any starting issues.

strider

Loc.
Holland
I second the WD40. With WD standing for Water Displacement it's the natural fit getting water out of things liger the distributor cap. I don't spend a lot of time directly spraying the electrical components but when I was younger I didn't care and just wanted to get the mud off before it dried. In those days everything under the hood took the full force and I've never had an issue.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
After you get the motor started it is common not to restart the next time you go to restart. This is due to the engine warming up and any moisture that got under the distributer cap vaporizes an condences at the top inside of the distributer cap. If this happens pop the distributer cap and spray it out with wd-40 and wipe with a towel.

xfalcon

First off Welcome to the site! second how about a photo of the 76 :)

70_Steve

Old Guy
Can someone please tell me what else I may need to cover besides the dist. cap, the carburetor, watching out for electrical wiring and battery when trying to clean engine compartment on my 1976 Bronco?
I think all of the suggestions are good, and worth considering. I believe a lot of what you pay attention to depends on how you intend to clean the engine.

I tend to keep my engine pretty clean to begin with, so for me, cleaning the engine usually only involves spraying down everything with Simple Green, then hosing off with a low pressure spray. If I'm doing that I don't even bother covering the distributor. I do run the engine just a bit before cleaning, and sometimes will pop the distributor cap off when I'm done, to allow any moisture that did get in to evaporate.

But, if you need to remove 30+ years of dirt, grime, grease, and who-knows-what, and the plan is using a pressure washer, then I'd maybe consider doing a bit more of what was suggested. But mostly paying attention to what I was spraying!!!

And, welcome to CB.com!!!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd add once clean, start it up and drive for a minimum thirty minutes to make sure all the water is out of everything.