• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with Drivetrain noise

flousberg

I have a drive train noise when I am freewheeling only. It doesn't happen when I am pullin or decelerating, only when there is not torque on the drivetrain. It happens if I shift into nuetral while coasting, push in the clutch and free wheel, etc. The noise is almost like a chatter. It sounds like it is near the transfer case. I have a 3 speed and a J shift. I also have 4.56 gears and an arb locker in the rear. Does this sound familar to anyone?

73bronco

Sounds like my bronco! I am pretty sure I know what my problem is. If I grab my t-case rear output yoke I can wiggle it around. I have lost the pre-load on my output shaft bearings which means my output shaft bearings are toast. If you get a chance you may hop under your bronco and grab that output shaft to see if you feel it moving around at all. It should be tight with no movement at all up and down or side to side. Your broncos problem may also be the rear driveshaft u-joints or c.v. joint. You are in Arvada CO I see. If you can't figure it out I would be happy to take a look at it and see what I think too as I am in Arvada CO myself. Plus I always like checking out other broncos and meeting fellow bronco fanatics!

OP
OP
flousberg

flousberg

I will have to check that out. I have looked at the ujoints but I was going to look at them again. If you want to met up some time give me a call 303-242-7174.
Frank

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I think that's a good excuse to put in that 4R70W you have and a new Atlas TC! I saw a Ford NP205 on Colorado4x4.org.

Seriously, at first it sounded like maybe your clutch was not dis-engaging, but it still happens in neutral, so it has to be in your D20 or driveshaft. How's your pinion angle? Maybe it's going on all the time , but you only hear it when your off the gas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
flousberg

flousberg

Well I found the problem tonight, the nut was loose on the yoke at the transfer case. Don't know what that means, but doesn't sound good.

I am going to expedite the 4r70w install, but I don't think an atlas is in my wife's plans at this time. The air lockers and gears kind of put her over the edge for this year.

I guess I need to get serious about looking for a 205, but before I do the swap, I want to get some wheeling time in unless the dana 20 blows up! We need to get something planned.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
Sounds like one of those things. Glad you found it though. I could break away Sat or Sun afternoon and play.