• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help with Kayline (STC) Fast Trac top

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Guys, I'm having a heck of a time with my new STC fast Trac top. The top seems to installed correctly (to there own installation papers) but I'm having a problem with the front windsheild frame. The windsheild frame keeps pulling back into my door frames once I tighten down the top. I have tried to shim (1/8") out the window frame with body shims. It helps but the door frame and top of the windsheild frame still hit when I try to close the doors. I just had my truck repainted by a 25 year factory Ford body guy. He and I relined all the doors, hood and gate to factory specs so I know the doors aren't the problem. Also I know it not do to rust on the frame or cowl because it a rust free AZ truck. Has this happened to anyone or any suggestions to fix it? Thanks Jeff

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
If you have a cage, put a bumper or turn buckle from the front of it to the windshield frame. The metal in the frame isn't that thick and will flex.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
It may sound kinda strange but even a bikini top will pull the windshield frame back into the doors. It is a piss poor design ( the windshield frame ) and installing shims like you did is about all you can do if you don't have a roll cage to install braces to the windshield frame.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, I do have a cage but I haven't welded it together yet. I do plan to put a brace of some kind to help susport the window. But I didn't think I need to do that first. I figured the top would fit with or with out the cage in place. I was hoping to get the truck home from the body shop with the top in place then figure out the roll bar postion and fabercation at home. This soft top really has my body stumped. He can't figure how someone could manufacture a product that would interfere with the door frames. He realizes that windsheild frame was design was a piss poor design by Ford. But in Ford defence the windsheild was desinged fo the hard top or no hard top. Not for a soft top. I guess I'll try more body shims but I fear that it will tweak the window frame or be to tough on the soft top itself. Thanks again guys for all the help! Jeff

Orange Crush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Maryland
Aaargh!!! I'm having the same problem. I need to shim the windshield 1/8 - 1/4". Where can I get body shims? Can I just use washers instead? I thought this STC soft top install would be a snap. It hasn't been too bad until now, just a long process....

Dawg_enD

I thought that the cam latch thing in the back was somewhat adjustable. Can't you just adjust it to have more slack so it's not pulling on your windshield as hard?

Orange Crush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Maryland
No, I'm sorry, I need to clarify my particular problem. I don't have the vinyl on yet. I need to shim the windshield frame in order to get the horizontal bars (the ones that go over the doors) to fit properly. I knew I might run into this when I took the initial measurements but I didn't want to mess with it unless absolutely necessary. My doors, windshield frame, everything body-wise is lined up perfectly right now and I hate to f#$% with it but it looks like the windshield frame will have to move a little bit. I do not have a front cage. I have also had to ream all of the aluminum body pieces and riser holes to get them on. I need to get this thing done so I can drive her to Carslisle on Friday:p

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Sounds like its the top door rail (soft top part) hitting the top of the bronco door window frame?
I had the same problem. I used some washers to space up the bracket that the door rail slides into. I also had to do some bending to get the rail to clear both on top of the door and at the back.

Dawg_enD

Ooooh. I bent the upright that goes in the hole you drill behind the door. I bent it towards the windshield some, then slid the crossbar as far forward as possible.

I think what it actually did was bend the little bar that inserts into the hle in my body from the vertical piece. Anyway, it worked!

Orange Crush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Maryland
Thanks for the suggestions. I came very close to doing some bending of my own, but after talking to someone else who had the same issues I decided to give the shims a try first and it worked great. Thanks Don! Now I just need to get my sh%t together and get on the road to Carlisle. I'm about 4-5 hours behind schedule. Hope to see many of you there!

jsander

Loc.
Under your Bronco
Help w/ STC Fast Trac

I was just finished installing all of the hardware and went to install the door frame pieces. I am running hard doors. I went to fit the "horizontal piece" into the eyelit on the windshield riser and the large hole on the "rear bow", and I am probably 2 1/2" - 3" short (yeah I know, that's what she said. The story of my life :cry: ) The "rear bow" is as far forward as I can get it to go, it's actually resting on the roll cage. I'm hoping that my roll cage is not too high:mad: I don't have another bronco here to take measurements, so I was wondering if someone could help me out.

1. What is the measurement from the floor board to the bottom of the bow?
2. I forgot what question #2 was...........

I just went to look for the camera, and apparently it has been MIA for a few days, so I can't take any pics ?:?