• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with Q on powdercoating

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Dear fellow Bronco nuts-

I am the recent owner of a 74 Bronco. I have the body off, ready to go to media blasting. The question is do I get it powder coated now, or send it out for epoxy primer after the media blasting?
Here's a few particulars to keep in mind. I do NOT have an indoor facility, having to work out in the yard. I will have tarps, but some of my work will be tarped through this process. I have minimal rust repairs compared to some, but I have the standard rust repairs to still go through on the toe kick areas and front pillars. Might find more repairs once blasting is done. But I will have to store it outside while I do the mechanical work this coming winter, so, powder coat or epoxy primer? Why?

Thanks

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Well Bronco Billy here is my personal view on that. But first I'll tell you I do own a powder coat shop.
If you do not have to do any work on the frame itself I would powder coat it now. Epoxy primer will rust over time.
Powder coat is very resilient and will withstand minor abuse to it. Welding around powder will melt it if you get to close to it. But if you tell your powder coater to use epoxy primer powder first then the color coat, if they do it correctly you can leave the frame outside uncovered and it will be fine.
Just my opinion and you will get plenty here and they are all good. Just read them all and choose what works best for you. Good luck and show us some pictures.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well Bronco Billy here is my personal view on that. But first I'll tell you I do own a powder coat shop.
If you do not have to do any work on the frame itself I would powder coat it now. Epoxy primer will rust over time.
Powder coat is very resilient and will withstand minor abuse to it. Welding around powder will melt it if you get to close to it. But if you tell your powder coater to use epoxy primer powder first then the color coat, if they do it correctly you can leave the frame outside uncovered and it will be fine.
Just my opinion and you will get plenty here and they are all good. Just read them all and choose what works best for you. Good luck and show us some pictures.

To get the powder to stick to the epoxy do they have to hot flock it? will that epoxy primer hold up to the 400 degree temps to cure the powder? just curious

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Body is going to be blasted 1st, frame latter. But that does beg the question, does the powder coat withstand rocks, etc. on the frame or need another final coat?
The frame is in great shape, I just need to do a lot of rust repairs on the body, and then it will be sitting for awhile :(
Wish I had the funds and time to go faster.

Please direct me to a thread on how to post pictures, and I will.

Thanks for the advice guys.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
The primer I use is an epoxy primer powder then the top black coat is a polyester based powder. I use this system on all the coast guard boats and have had great success with it.
As far as rocks no nothing you put on your frame with withstand rocks. Powder is a lot more durable than paint as it binds to the metal unlike paint that lays on top of the metal.
You could go with like a POR-15 but it's names says it all. Paint Over Rust. It is made to go over rust not a clean blasted frame. It's made to convert the rust from iron oxide to an iron phosphate and bind in that way.
So keep researching and asking and you will find the best solution that you are comfortable with.

mtp71174

If you are going to media blast your body you have many choices of media, dry sand, wet sand blasting, soda blasting and other choices. Dry sand blasting due to heat build up can warp the larger panels quarters, doors, hood and fenders care must be taken. Wet sand blasting is new no heat build up less chance of warpage. Soda blasting much more control low chance of warpage. What I find that is never brought up is the prepping after blasting. When you blast with sand what you have is sand embedded in the metal and the metals "pores" are closed up to the shot peening effect. Engine builders would shot peen the rods to strengthen them. After blasting on should D A the body with 80 grit paper to knock out any embedded sand and scuff up the metal for your primer coat yes 80 is course but this is for your first coat. For your purpose you will apply an epoxy primer which is a sealer primer that once you have applied correctly you can leave it under cover outside and not worry. epoxy primer is a two part primer that seals the body I not talking about a 2k primer or slicksand or any other high fill primer. Ppg epoxy primer starts with the letters dp like dp20 or dp4o the number is the tint grey, red, dark grey and such. PPG cost is high you can find cheaper prices with matrix or sherwin williams or other paint suppliers. Once you epoxy prime your you can do your rust repair then seal it then tackle the project at your own speed. Once you finish your "body" work the you can start your paint job.

Kurzhaarguy

There are a couple of issues that have not been mentioned. Epoxy will tend to chalk with UV exposure. Powder will be subject to cage effects. In other words areas that are surrounded by metal such as corners make it hard to get proper electrical charge. These areas suffer from incomplete coating. Both of these coating options have really good corrosion protection.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
With the new guns and powders the "cage" effect is eliminated. I'm able to actually coat up inside the frame to a point.
A second option is to have the coater do a hot coat. I do this all the time but you need to be careful not to build your mil thickness too much that's would be bad. The powder hits sticks and melts instantly then in the oven for cure time.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had to clean my frame out after powder, since I had rat nests inside the frame I didn't know about. I would power wash to make sure nothing is inside before media blasting. Somehow the nests didn't catch on fire. Smoked a little, but didn't hurt the powder.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
B But that does beg the question, does the powder coat withstand rocks, etc. on the frame or need another final coat?
Forrest, are you meaning big rocks on the trail or little ones kicked up by driving?
The powdercoats I have easily withstand gravel flung up.