• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with SEFI starting

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I am restarting my bronco from the latest mods and here is what I have. 5.0 motor with Ryans Harness. I have good fuel pressure, good spark and it will start but not stay running. I have noticed one strange issue? If I have the key in the on position and turn the dizzy in a counter clock wise fashion the fuel pumps cycle, turn it back clockwise and they cycle again! I am thinking I have a short somewhere or a bad ground? Anybody have any suggestions?

thanks Ben

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
No epiphanies to report, other than that the ECU looks at the signal from the PIP and decides if the engine is turning over, then gives the fuel pumps a 2 second burst. If it can't tell left from right it won't care if the dizzy is turned clockwise or counterclockwise.

I'm guessing there's a problem with which wire you are using for the crank & run. The ECU is getting power during start, but not during run. Give us some more info on your connections.

Saddleup and I are working on a teleportation device to let us instantly zoom from our keyboards to hanging over the fender of your Bronco, but it doesn't work right yet- all it does is send me in front of the kitchen sink, full of dirty dishes. And it doesn't even send me back. The last time I tried it I found myself in front of the laundry basket. Grrrr...

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Problem with SEFI starting

Well it's good to know you guys are staying busy out there ;) lars, I am using Ryans harness and it is more or less plug and play as far as connections go and overly simplified, but you know me I could screw up a one wire connection! Wierd absolutely, considering this truck has run with this harness and motor without a hitch. I mentioned the left to right/clockwise/counter clockwise movement because I thought it was strange and might indicate a short or bad connection? Let me know when you have the teleportation device straightened out and I will have the beer ready :-*

Ben

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
lars said:
Saddleup and I are working on a teleportation device to let us instantly zoom from our keyboards to hanging over the fender of your Bronco, but it doesn't work right yet- all it does is send me in front of the kitchen sink, full of dirty dishes. And it doesn't even send me back. The last time I tried it I found myself in front of the laundry basket. Grrrr...
When you get this done please let me know, I will give you big $$$ for one.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
help with SEFI starting

ARGHHHHHH! why is it always the little things that drive me crazy! Fixed my problem, I had a lose connection at the high pressure fuel pump. :p
Glad to hear her run again!