• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

High vs. low pinion

barrelroll

Loc.
Marquette, MI
Right now i've got a stock low pinion D44 in my bronco. I've got a high pinion 44 housing with weld on c's sitting under the house. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use a the c's on the high pinion or not, new ones are $85 which I figure my housing, stock non flat top knuckles, and 3.50 gears should pay for the c's if not make some cash. Is it worth it to build a new housing? I've done it before and am thinking about building a pretty decent 44.

BroncoBoy72

Loc.
Marana Arizona
Whys it under your house?! Nah Im just playing.. If you have a Victor Open End Wrench (torch) just torch the old ones off and reuse them and save yourself 85+ shipping. You dont need flat tops, in my opinion they are not strong enough as it is the run high steer. There are tons of threads on Pirate even saying that the Ford 60 knuckes arent strong enough for the high steer stuff, but who knows... Just do the tie rod over and you will be pleanty high to clear. Build what you have and throw the rest of the money into alloy shafts and a locker! Good luck

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
I used a cutoff wheel on a 4.5" grinder to cut mine off and reuse them. They are only welded at the top and bottom so its pretty easy to get them off without messing them up.

mr.n

Right now i've got a stock low pinion D44 in my bronco. I've got a high pinion 44 housing with weld on c's sitting under the house. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use a the c's on the high pinion or not, new ones are $85 which I figure my housing, stock non flat top knuckles, and 3.50 gears should pay for the c's if not make some cash. Is it worth it to build a new housing? I've done it before and am thinking about building a pretty decent 44.
You should know if you need a high pinion...

Low pinion with rock scrapes... or over a 4" lift.... have to keep replacing drive shafts... keep snapping thouse 260 u-joints.

mr.n

The 260's are going bye bye low or high pinion, i just picked up a 297 jointed shaft today for 1 side.

What is your price on a long side inner?

I've found good High Pinion all there core axles for the same price. (Yes, even if you get an axle free and have it re-slined prices...)
Just takes some time to find a good yard (or a U Pull type yard)

OP
OP
B

barrelroll

Loc.
Marquette, MI
I've got a a short side inner out of a chev, I still have to pick up a long side shaft to cut down, probably a case of beer for the shaft, then I think shortening is $40. I'm planning on putting alloys/ super joints in my high pinion i'm building, i'll probably keep the EB front complete to sell and then piece together the HP.