• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hit a wall, Dana 20 removal from NP435!!!

Bundy

Bronco Guru
so far this has been a massive pain in the ass- i get the crossmember bolts out, TC/adapter bolts out but can't figure out how to get the crossmember itself out- no big deal because i can see all 6 TC bolts and i would imagine that is the goal behind removing the crossmember

Well how do you get any kind of open ended wrench or socket on the 6 bolts? the top 4 are so friggin close to the adapter i can't fit an open ended wrench and a 1/4 drive socket will barely fit.

is there a special tool that would help?

taking off the adapter with the T/C is looking more and more inviting... if i secure the tranny with a jack, can i safely remove the adapter and the T/C??

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
i think that is what i am going to do- i just don't see any other reasonable way to do it. i guess the trick is to make sure the tranny is supported so i don't tweak the output shaft.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
yeah i am realizing that i am in over my head here- this f@#$ing TC is going to be the end of me!

even trying to do the 4 bolts on the adapter is friggin impossible... well 3 are easy and one is just killing me- it's party protected by the shift forks and i can't get a turn in from the bottom or the top.

i guess this is why mechanics are in business.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Relax you can do it. Use a box end wrench on the 6 bolts. Drop the cross-member, you can get it out. Even if you have to drop the frame mounts on each side. It will come out.

Oatmeal

Take the transmission and the t-case out at the same time, it really is easier...
I agree, but you'd better have a trans jack or at least somebody to help you.......I don't know how I did it by myself before. I was alot younger then:eek:
stabbing it back all in one piece can be a load of fun too. :)
I have some long bolts with the heads cut off and a slot cut into the ends (so you can remove them with a screwdriver) that I screw into the bellhousing (in lieu of the four trans to bellhousing bolts) and use as removeable guide pins......makes it alot easier to get back together;) ----------Hans

bludorbronc

i dont understand the question, are you wanting the crossmember out.put jack under transmission, unbolt frame mounts, unbolt crossmember to frame mounts, unbolt two bolts in transfercase adator and cross member and drop out cross member. while crossmember is out take a torch and notch crossmember where the top 4 transfer case bolts are so next time you can get to top bolts with out messing with crossmember, i did it to mine so i know it can be done and it does not affect crossmember strength. also it is nice to weld in crossmember to frame mount bolts to top of crossmember so all you have to do is take off nut and not worry about putting wrench on head of bolt.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Why would you remove the frame brackets? Just unbolt the Xmbr from the trans & brackets, lift the trans/t-case, and remove the Xmbr. And if I were gonna weld something on top, it'd be the nuts - not the bolts.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
thanks for all the suggestions- i wish i knew how to weld because i would wel those nuts to the frame for the crossmember, instead of having a hole in my floor- hahaha.

i was never able to remove the crossmember until the t/c was out, but i was able to move it enough so i could access the bottom bolts.

the bolt that was killing me i realized was because i didn't have the right tool- my boxed end was too long to get a turn in, so off to sears and bought a stubby box end. took alot of 1/8 turns, but the T/C came off at the adapter.

i basically wussed out of removing the adapter with the T/C- i am glad i did because the bearings in the T/C ended up falling out and i had to dig em, don't want to mess with the tranny if i can help it.

it was alot more work than i had anticpated, especially with every aftermarket add on that this EB has gotten in 40 years.

so i wire brushed the T/C today, had what looked like 20 years of sh*t caked on. the internals look pretty good, with some grindage on the front output gear, i would assume from popping out of gear.

now i am going to remove the adapter since i am sure i broke the seal to the tranny when i removed the t/c if it wasnt leaking already.

i think the leak was at the adapter/tc seal because a few of the tc bolts were not that tight and the rubber snubber was mush.

thanks for all the help guys

- Ben i will be around all day today and tomorrow if you want to cruise by.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
if you have urethane bushings you don't need that rubber snubber. i know someone who has a new set locally if you need me to get them for you tomorrow ryan.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The cross member kicked my arse also , until I saw the the frame mounts were bolted , not welded on. No problem then.
I can assure you , with a np435 and no bodylift , the cross member will not come out while the frame mounts are in place. Only had to drop one mount to get the cross memeber out.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
if you have urethane bushings you don't need that rubber snubber. i know someone who has a new set locally if you need me to get them for you tomorrow ryan.

thanks Ben, but im fairly certain it has urethane bushings, they look new still and while i don't know my composites very well i don't know what else they could be... definately not rubber.

i do need some gasket help-

Can i use RTV on the following (i have a D20 gasket kit, but i think rtv gasket is better)

adapter to tranny, rtv or no?

adapter to D20, rtv or no?

D20 main cover, rtv or no?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
My bolts got allen heads.

Drop trans and t case as a whole unit.
Install separately. That's what I do.
I did it recently to instal a new clutch.

Attachments

• DSC06084.jpg
    DSC06084.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Scrapper_MV

I stabbed my T/C and NP435 in one piece fairly easily. I jacked it up from the side as close as I could get it then I layed on my back under the Bronco with my head very near to the 9" pumpkin and used my feet / hands to push it up and in the rest of the way. It worked good for me, I will do it this way next time. (Unless I get any fatter, then it might be tough!)