• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley Projection Installation notes

dalba4

Loc.
Socal
I am running a Holley Projection - Version 1 Analog, 2BBL Holley TB, Low pressure injectors. I bought this used, actually 2.

Pre-start testing:

• Ignition to run, NOT START. Confirm the fuel pump turns off after two seconds.
  • Confirm system is holding fuel pressure. It should bleed pressure off after an hour. Less time indicates leaky injector. Immediate bleed off indiacted a hole in the fuel pressure diaphram.
  • 5 volts to TPS (grey wire)
  • Grounds - Grounds - Grounds. Missing or poorly installed will do crazy stuff. I missed the ground on the TPS wires. Everything was wrong - injectors staying fully open, no fuel pump on, 12V to all TPS wires. So much was wrong that no trouble shooting was possible. Frankly I thought that ground from the Black wire on the TPS was redundant and that the TPS would use the main ECM ground. I was wrong.

Once this was sorted I was able to start and allow the motor to idle and warm up. I had some fuel leaks, I addressed those before continuing further.

I set the pressure on the TBI regulator to 12-13 PSI. This is in range for my 302.

It drove fairly well at this point, better then the carb, but it still needed some adjusting.

So after reading a couple of different opinions as to the adjustment procedures I settled on the following:

• Back out idle screw until the throttle plates seat.
  • Set the TPS to 0.63V
  • Screw the throttle plates in 1/2-3/4 of a turn (once it starts and warms up each engine will want a slightly different opening)
  • Increase engine RPM to 3000, and holding the throttle steady adjust the midrange knob until best mixture or RPM is obtained (I fattened it up some from best RPM). Let engine return to idle.
  • Adjust idle mixtures as needed.
  • Drive the vehicle around and adjust the accel pump shot, and top end as needed.
I have the closed loop add on kit, it doesn't aim for lean as an OEM system would. It keeps the mixture slightly rich, which is fine. I don't have any complaints about it so far, but I can ground it out with the simple flip of a switch.

I set my timing at 10 BTDC, with the carb I had 16 BTDC. I may try to adjust the timing for more initial advance in the future.

The Holley TB doesn't have a "manifold" port for vacuum advance. There is a port with a "manifold" signal at the front and rear of the carb, but they are not 5/32" as the two "ported" signal fitting are at the front of the unit.

I had to modify the Holley TB throttle lever arm b/c of the adapter plate. There was linkage bind at the initial portion of throttle opening.

I have a vacuum gauge, narrow band O2 sensor with A/F meter, and a tachometer. These were enough to "tune" the engine.

Overall so far I am happy, of course the real test is how it repsonds to elevation changes, and running on an incline, or at an angle.

Also longevity is of interest, however the unit I installed is from 1992 so.

20111122_132258.jpg

20111122_132310.jpg

20111122_132322.jpg

20111122_132330.jpg

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I installed the 2D System a few years ago and like it for its offroad capabilities. I can't seem to change the timing from where its at. Any slight change and it will run rough. There seems to be a sweet spot but she will heat up on summer days so I figure its advanced. Could the settings on the ECU need to be adjusted prior to setting the timming? Also, how do you increase the idle? The screw knob on the ECU for idle is turned all the way up but its only at 600 rpms.
Thanks!

OP
OP
dalba4

dalba4

Loc.
Socal
Sent you a PM, there is a screw for idle RPM same as with a carb.

The Idle knob will only adjust mixture at idle (around idle) so you need to crack the throttle plates open some more.

It's a recessed crew head, but it's uppper right hand side when looking at the head unit from the front of the engine.

OP
OP
dalba4

dalba4

Loc.
Socal
Went from ported back to manifold vacuum advance. It now has a much stronger off idle response.

I also noticed that the Closed Loop Kit makes some pretty big corrections to the mixture. Driving around on the street in 3rd or 4th you might not notice it. But using low range and holding the throttle steady it is noticeable, so that might not be useful on the trail. Maybe useful going to the trail if it improves gas mileage.