• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hood Clearance - Air Filter Help

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
I have a stock hood, with the original 302 under it. The previous owner had put on an Edlebrock with a low profile cleaner, which had been burning the underside of my hood. I'm assuming that in order to put on a larger filter, like a K&N, I'm going to need to go with a cowl. Can anyone direct me to a good cowl hood company, or somwhere that I can find a better low profile element for my carb?

MI-Bronco

hmmm.. that doesn't sound right. Could it be a backfire problem?

I have a 302, edelbrock setup with a q-jet and spacer / adapter. I also have a 3" K&N filter. I used a deep drop base plate for the airfilter ($13.00 at Ramchargers). Works great - clears throttle lnkage and gives me ~ 3/4 " gap between filter top and stock hood. Course that might not be enough for you if you have excessive heat there for some reason.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
MI Bronco,

I've got the same set up as you now. Stock hood, 302, Performer and Qjet. Is that Ramcharger a place or am I looking for a cleaner off an old Ramcharger? I was actually looking at cleaners this morning. I need to get rid of that worthless Edelbrock triangle Proflo junk.
Thanks!

MI-Bronco

Good question '72 - Ramchargers is actually a place. www.ramchargers.com. They have a retail location by me.

Unfortunately, I can't find a link for you (couldn't find the product on their site). Their item number is 01526092 and the description is AIR CLEANER BOTTON ONLY and price was $16.95.

Here is how it looks....

Attachments

• 050804_engine_small.jpg
    050804_engine_small.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 267

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the same problem - stock 302 with a Holley 600 and barely any room for a filter. I can't even put a wing nut on top of the filter because it won't allow the hood to close and my filter is only about 1-1/2" tall. One of my biggest problems is lack of air flow so I've been looking to somehow fab a piece to make a cone filter work similiar to imports and have cool air intake. Has anyone seen of this done before on a carb? If there is a kit that lowers the bottom of the filter and allows a taller filter I'm definitely willing to give it a try.

Thanks,
Robert

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I have an edelbrock carb and a drop base air cleaner and it fits just fine under my stock hood. You can see the air cleaner in this pic:

NewMaster2.jpg

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
i had the same problem in a camaro i used to race. edelbrock makes a filter called a scavenger. -or at least they used to. it fits very low over the carb and allows a ton of air in. check ebay for them. they work great and use a re-useable pice of foam as an element.

velpoe

Loc.
Cumberland, MD
Hey MI-Bronco,
What's the diameter of that filter/drop base combo? I have an '85 motor and the K&N setup from Duffs, q-jet and spacer. I had to add an additional spacer to get the air cleaner to clear the dizzy. I'd really like to go to a 13" diameter filter with a drop base so I can use a stock hood. Also is yours fitting without a body lift?

MI-Bronco

velpoe said:
Hey MI-Bronco,
What's the diameter of that filter/drop base combo? I have an '85 motor and the K&N setup from Duffs, q-jet and spacer. I had to add an additional spacer to get the air cleaner to clear the dizzy. I'd really like to go to a 13" diameter filter with a drop base so I can use a stock hood. Also is yours fitting without a body lift?

Good question:

Diameter is 14" (mine is Duff's K&N filter setup)

I don't have any body lift - I do have new poly bushings.

I also have the spacer / adapter from Chuck's.

Here are some more pics:

Carb with adapter plate:

Attachments

• Resize_of_P1010053.JPG
    Resize_of_P1010053.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 148

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
thedirtyneck said:
Is anyone using a stock 2150 carb running one of these drop bases, or some other brand for that matter?

Brian

Brian, I have the stock carb, drop air cleaner from Toms and a K&N and it all fits under the stock hood. The base does hit the electric choke housing and will need to be tweeked a little.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Thanks MI Bronco! Got my drop base coming from Ramchargers now! Can't wait!

MI-Bronco

72_EB said:
Thanks MI Bronco! Got my drop base coming from Ramchargers now! Can't wait!

n/p - you will be a happy man...

One other item - the electric wire connector (plastic) to the electric choke will need to be trimmed. That is the only adjustment!!!

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
One more thing...you sure your filter is 3" tall?
Only saw 2 1/4 and 4" in the Summit Catalog.
Thanks again! Is it a K&N?

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Hmmm. Maybe I can get away with the 4". Never asked you if you had a body lift. I've got 2 more inches there.

MI-Bronco

72_EB said:
Hmmm. Maybe I can get away with the 4". Never asked you if you had a body lift. I've got 2 more inches there.

No body lift for me, just replacement poly , so you should be fine.