• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How big of mass air and throttle body for a built 351?

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I did the EFI conversion last spring, I used some parts that I had already had. Bottom line, I know the upper intake is from a speed density Crown Vic. The intake port was only 52mm? That's what my conversion measurement came up with at least. The lower is a 351 truck lower that I have ported and gasket matched to the stock 80's-90's intake gasket with a BC adapter. You can hear the exhaust change tone about 3000 rpm and kinda sounds constipated! I assume that it is caused by the restriction in the upper intake and small throttle body.

The short block is a 30 over, fully balanced and ARP'ed with 9.5:1 pistons. It has a custom ground cam that is 204/210 duration with 460/480 lift, 110 deg. lobe sep. The heads are 72' Torino heads the have been ported heavily and gasket matched to the 72' big intake gaskets. I never flowbenched them but I know the do flow well.

The intake set-up I'm planning on is the Edelbrock Performer "already have" with a ported Typhoon lower. I just don't know how big of throttle body and mass air meter/injectors I should run.

The motor is set up for and has great torque but dies on the upper end. Currently I'm currently running the 19lbs. injectors, stock mustang mass air with a A9P computer and 92' harness.

Sorry for so much info at once!

Thanks in advance,
David

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you talked to a tuner in your area yet? My best advice is to seek out one and have a chat.

My research shows a 351 running out of injector/computer around 3-4000RPM. Anything more than that and you hit 100% duty cycle, 24lb would be best for a truck that is modified like yours, you need to have the computer tuned for your setup. Most important, ensure the injectors/MAF and TB all work together.

One point, while hi horsepwoer maybe a cool thing, the size of TB needed could result in no driveability at low RPM, in other words, you touch the throttle and the motor winds up because it has a larger than needed TB for the desired throttle movement (this issue can be corrected by changing throttle movement).

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I haven't looked real hard for a tuner in this area but I have never heard of any and I have been into motorsports for close to 20 years around here.

I'm not looking for the biggest, I want the system to work right. I have read a lot of threads and searched a bunch. Most come up with dead ended conversation and no one sayin the results. Crawling and the throttle tip in is a concern, I have a lot of control now. I don't want to loose torque and the control I have with my current set up but would like to let it breath better.

I should have said that I also have shorty headers with (2) 2 1/2" pipes going into a Magnaflow muffler that exits through a 3" tailpipe.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Shameless plug... I never ran my EFI (decided to go propane), but if what you come up with tells you to get a 75mm TB and 76mm MAF I one of each to sell ya if you're interested. They're both new.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
im going to keep an eye on this thread. i am just now gathering my efi parts and im going to start with a 65mm TB from a 99 explorer and 24lb injectors and a A9P computer. Ryan at RJM told me ill have to find an aftermarket maf sensor to bring it all together. or another guy I know who races only EFI 302's said i can use the TB and MAF from a 94 GT with what i have.

Im running edelbrock performer heads, lightning lower, explorer upper and the RJM harness so Im not sure if were comparing apples to apples since im still learning.

Goodluck!

ransil

Bronco Guru
You can guess all you want at what might work, but a dyno tune will tell you exactly what you need and where you need it.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Contact rjlougee. He has done the setup you're looking to do. He really knows his way around moded Ford EFI.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
76 mass air and 70 TB with 24lbs injectors is a good set up for your motor as long as you can free up the intake flow- which you have with that intake. A adjustable fuel pressure regulator is needed along with a tune to get it dialed in but it should run pretty good with out the tune. I run this on my 5.0 with gt40 upper and lower, B cam and stock internals- no tune and runs good. BBK 76 Mass Air and Proffesional Products 70mm TB. Dave

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
76 mass air and 70 TB with 24lbs injectors is a good set up for your motor as long as you can free up the intake flow- which you have with that intake. A adjustable fuel pressure regulator is needed along with a tune to get it dialed in but it should run pretty good with out the tune. I run this on my 5.0 with gt40 upper and lower, B cam and stock internals- no tune and runs good. BBK 76 Mass Air and Proffesional Products 70mm TB. Dave

This is what I have been told for my 347 EFI. I have FMS 24lbs injectors, BBK 70mm TB, 70mm Ford F2VF 70 mm MAF (SN95 MAF). Bronco runs and has power but seems like a tune could really help. I still need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I am also thinking I need a different MAF but I have heard a ton of different opinions and am having a a hard time choosing the best MAF for my application.
Also make sure if you are running a cone filter it is longer than 7 inches. I had a shorter one one initially and the engine was starving for air flow.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While it may initialy run OK without a tune, long term you may be running lean or rich and why not spend the dime to get it all dialed in early rather than later.

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I guess I need to look for a Tuner in my area! I know I'll have to change the intake, TB, MA and injectors before they set up a tune for it.