• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do I tell how much lift I have?

rmoore

Loc.
Plano, TX
Another stupid question guys... I want to replace my shocks and front springs. From what I understand I need to know how much of a lift I have in order to do this. How can I tell how much lift I have and when buying shocks and springs am I considering both the suspension lift AND the body lift? I have attached a picture, don't know if that helps any (tires are 33")...

Thank you!

Attachments

• Front Left.jpg
    Front Left.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 26

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
body lift doesnt count you need to measure the height at the frame to the floor to figure it out just do a search for height it will come up

OP
OP
rmoore

rmoore

Loc.
Plano, TX
Thanks guys, based on the BC Bronco's info provided above, I just measured and the distance is between the bottom of the frame rail and the top of the axle tube between 8 1/2 and 9 inches. Would I just call that a 2 inch lift and could buy shocks and coils based on that?

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
It was most likely a 2.5" lift originally and settled. I don't know anyone that sold a 2" lift. I believe they either came 2.5, 3.5 or 5.5.

OP
OP
rmoore

rmoore

Loc.
Plano, TX
I think you are probably right, because I've been looking around and it seems they all pretty much start out at 2.5. Well let me ask you guys this, assuming it was originally a 2.5 lift and I buy new shocks and springs for a 2.5 inch lift, is my front end now going to sit higher than the back?

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
When you first install it, it may sit a little higher, but within a few weeks it should settle back down. 1/2" height differance front to back is not going to be noticable.

OP
OP
rmoore

rmoore

Loc.
Plano, TX
Thank you very much! One more quick question... Is there a particular spring that I should buy for my application? My truck is pretty much just a drive around town kinda thing.. Wild Horses has a 2 1/2 inch pre-runner... something like that??? And again, thanks for helping, sorry for the stupid questions!!!

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I think the pre-runner coils are a little softer, but that should ride great. The stock coils are very stiff and some of the old school lift coils are stiff as well. The Wild Horses coils should be great. I am sure others will chime in.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stay with one of the major vendors here and you will end up with a better than stock ride , and if you have old lift springs , the ride will be majorly improved. Mine will jar your teeth out sometimes.

From the chatter on the board here , most complain about too soft of a street ride when they lift. The pre-runners are stiffer than the rock springs and are probabley the way to go.

No actual experience here , just what I have picked up on from the group.