• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How hard/$$ is it to convert to AT?

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
Actually after reading some threads about mpg (I love this site!), i'm wondering how annoying it would be to keep the standard transmission - might be worth it if it ends up a daily driver.<br><br>

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Personally for me I wouldnt waste my time with an automatic, I just like being able to shift my gears and clutching. And especially for offroading I would have to have a manual, an auto would not do at all. JMO.<br>As for a daily driver, manuals are fine if you can drive one. If you have a hard time shifting or taking off then stick with an auto. Automatics are good for daily drivers though, sitting in traffic on a hill is a pain in the ass sometimes. Its just what you preffer to drive. And the conversion is fairly simple, bc broncos and other places offer bolt in conv kits.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use my c-4 offroad and I have never had problems 13yrs and counting :mad:

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I have a rebuilt Bronco C-4 and all associated stock AT stuff for sale as a matter of fact. It was rebuilt about 9000 miles ago and worked great, but I took it out en leu of a 4 Speed Overdrive. It's a lot harder to go from auto to manual than manual to auto. If you do it yourself it should take 2-5 days for the conversion, if you pay a shop to do it, expect well into the $1000-$3000 range.

T

teknalee

to me it's a toss up.. just stick to whatever you end up with till you're ready or it's neccessary to change it... there's good sides and bad sides to each its own really... i prefer manual over auto.. it's just alot more fun to me.. but sometimes it'd be nice to just sit back and relax.. (that's rarely ::) )

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
yeah i totally know what you are saying. i love having the stick in my integra (especially on highway on ramps!) but stop and go traffic jams are a bitch. i guess it depends on whether it becomes my daily driver and how often i drive it. i would think i would avoid commuting in it so i could just keep the stick. <br><br>can't wait to try it out tomorrow!

mark74ranger

Loc.
Albuquerque N.M.
Some people are purists and love their manuals. I do to on the street, but I love the C4 auto for four wheeling. Lots more control and much tougher to get yourself in trouble.