• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much for custom roll bar/cage?

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
I was just wondering how much some of you have paid to have a roll bar/cage installed? I am thinking about having one bent and welded locally but don't want to get riped off. So any info, or specs for a roll bar/cage....Thanks.

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
I installed a smitty built rear roll bar about 12yrs. ago<br>just recently got a front cage kit from mike at complete off roads it is real nice also got 2 extra spreaders for the center and 8 gossets with shipping 190.00. he makes them with the hoop across the windshield frame<br>very strong. <br>

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a shop in Dallas, can't remember which, quoted me $100 a point for custom cage. I went with cheap smittybuilt.<br><br>Eugene

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
After looking at how much I would spend to outfit my Broncos with full cages and pre-runner bumpers, I decided to buy a JD2 bender, Harbor Freight tubing notcher, and welder to make my own. For the price of a 1 nice set of ProtoFab bumpers and All 4 Fun custom cage I can buy all the stuff to do it.

T

teknalee

yea if you're gonna get the nice bumpers and a cage you you're spending money right there that could go to tools to help you with the bronco later.. and maybe even help you to make a few bucks on the side ;D we just got a model 3 jd2.. lookin forward to getting back home so i can get started ;)

Wzbell

Loc.
Troutman, NC
[quote author=teknalee link=board=5;threadid=10214;start=0#73967 date=1034727383]<br>yea if you're gonna get the nice bumpers and a cage you you're spending money right there that could go to tools to help you with the bronco later.. and maybe even help you to make a few bucks on the side ;D we just got a model 3 jd2.. lookin forward to getting back home so i can get started ;)<br>[/quote]<br><br>What did you pay for the model 3 jd2?

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
[quote author=67HalfCab link=board=5;threadid=10214;start=0#74034 date=1034735504]<br>Mine Cost me one radius arm, about $12 worth of paint and about 2 hours preping it. ;D<br>[/quote]<br>You are the luckiest person I've ever heard of. Perfectly built EB for $1700 with everything I want on mine, etc. etc. Stop posting, you're making me feel bad ;D

G

My father-in-law just get his custom built ( only provided a picture )installed, and painted for $900 total from a quality welder with a quality bender.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
$10 / ft. .......Less if you help ...more if you help too much ;D Thats what I charge . 1 3/4 " .120 wall , tied to frame .

OP
OP
TexasBronco

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Re:How much for custom roll bar/cage? self fabrication

For those self fabricators out there.....for a first time job I have been suggested to build it out of pvc pipe first to test the fit. I plan on making a roll cage. Is this a good idea for a first timer? Any suggestions, I should keep in mind well do in this. Thanks

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
<br><br>Remember ... it is a very important piece of safety equipment ... when you build something as important as a cage , make sure you consider who's safety is in question . If your fabrication skills are acceptable to you , and the people who will inevitably ride with you , then I would suggest starting with muffler tubing and learn how to make some of the bends you will need for your cage . It is not too expensive and will give you the basic ideas of how to bend a cage and work with tubing . After you change your mind a million times and try half again as many ideas ...get yourself some <br>1 3/4" or 2" HREW or DOM tubing and build the real one . Look at some of the aftermarket ones and surf the web for different styles of cages . There is no reason you can't duplicate your favorite for yourself . <br><br>Good luck and have some fun already ;D