• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how much is a351 cobra jet short block worth not siezed

benelibutton

A guy on craigslist has one. Ive been hagaling with him a bit. I tried to trade him a delphi steering box for it. Nope. Just wondering if this is worth five hundred . Sounds a little high for a short block. It was out of a mach 1 70s

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
For a 351C short block that is a verified CJ engine it would be worth it. Of course more worth it to a guy restoring a mustang or torino thats in need of the correct block. Also without the heads its really not worth as much as it could be. In my area complete CJ engines in need of a rebuild go for more than $1500 with heads. You need to check the casting numbers to be sure of what it actually is some CJ had 4 bolt mains some had 2bolt mains no ryhme or reason and no real advantage as the C's have pretty good bottom ends.

smitty68

Loc.
Spanaway
Ha I knew this post was coming. I am the guy you have been hagleling with. I know how much they are worth that is why I post it at that price. I always investigate before I sell.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
So this means that the cj is still for sale correct. And where might Spanaway be? and yes I have the correct heads for this motor.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Sounds like OP was doin a little investigate before he purchased.

Deano

Bronco Guru
Why is it that all the good stuff i want is on the wrong part of the US. Lol!

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
Ok Cobra Jet 351C's were 1971 only, right?? I know the '71 Mach 1's that have them bring big $$. I'm sure the heads are very sought after as well. My '71 has just a stock 351C 2V and has all the power I'll ever need!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ok Cobra Jet 351C's were 1971 only, right?? I know the '71 Mach 1's that have them bring big $$. I'm sure the heads are very sought after as well. My '71 has just a stock 351C 2V and has all the power I'll ever need!

71 was the first year The CJ name was given but you could get a CJ in 72 and 73 as well. Then you also had the Boss which i believe was only avilible in 71 then came the HO 72/73. As well as the standard 2v and 4v engines. The boss engines had better rods, mechanical cams, adjustable valvetrain, more compression and quench chamber heads. Where the CJ's had open chamber heads.
So in the end the boss engines are probably a little more desireable.

dirwin

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
The 351 Cleveland Q code engine, aka Cobra Jet, was available 71-74 actually. While only 71-73 in the Mustang, it was available in the Ranchero, Torino, Montego and Cougar. It was the same block and heads in 74, but called the 351-4V. They were all hydraulic lifter cams though and I've never seen or heard of a 2 bolt main, Q code. The only 351 Cleveland based engines of that era that had a solid lifter cam that I'm aware of were the R codes.

The Q code blocks are not that hard to find, the open chamber 4V heads and correct intake manifolds on the other hand, are nearly impossible.