• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much rust do you remove?

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
I'm hoping to save the bed floor of my newly inherited '71 halfcab this weekend but need to know how much do I scuff/sand the areas that have started to develop surface rust before I hit it with some POR-15. Do I grind it until it shines, or do I leave something for the POR to bite to and convert?

Also, once I get ready to paint the truck or bedline it, I should scuff/sand the PORed areas and prime before paint or bedliner.... right?

Thanks,
Mac

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
You could hit it with a wire wheel on an angle grinder to get the loose stuff up and to clean the metal before hitting it with POR.
If you are going to put a spray in linner you should be able to just scuff the POR before the linner goes in.

Best thing to do is call POR and ask them then your the bed linner company to see what they recomend. POR is very good about providing advise.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
X2 - just knock the loose stuff off, then follow the POR-15 directions for prepping the surface.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
X2 - just knock the loose stuff off, then follow the POR-15 directions for prepping the surface.

This is what I did also. The Line-X guy sanded most of the POR 15 off because it too smooth. Most holes can be covered with aluminum tape and sprayed over. Including rust holes if there not too big. Line-X prep is #80 grit on a sanding wheel.