• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much $ to Upholster a Bronco

Whiskey Tango

Loc.
Ventura County Calif
I was quoted $600.00 to upholster my 1970 Bronco (front&rear) and that seems way to high to me. Since I already have the seat covers, new foam and the stockfront seats I was hoping to pay about $300.00. I could do it myself, but Ive never done that and I want it done right. Whats the going rate, it doesnt seem that time consuming to me, but I really have no idea. I live near Ventura County, Ca if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks in advance,

Whiskey Tango

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
that's pricey, especially if you have the majority of the material yourself. had an uncle upholster his eb for $300-$400. nothing fancy, but clean in appearance.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Funny timing, just today I took all my stuff down to the guy around here who is highly recommended and got a firm quote for $625 to do my interior.

That is with me providing all the materials and I disassembled the front seats. New foam and covers and plywood for rear seats. He will have to reuse old rear seat foam and cut/add to it for proper height. 2 seat heaters for the fronts. And he is redoing the foam in the original rear seat armrests and recovering them.

I think $625 is high, but it is a complicated job and I believe him when he said it'll take him the better part of 2 days to do it perfectly. And I've seen some of his work when I first visited and again today, and have little doubt that everything will turn out perfectly. That being said, I am considering doing this myself because of the high price tag....

So not sure that was terribly helpful. If you buy new rear foam ($90something) you can do the rears yourself pretty easily. The rear armrests and the front buckets require a much higher level of expertise from what I've read/seen on here.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
At $625 @ $50 per hr. that's 12.5 hrs or if its 16 hrs that's $39 per hr. Upholstery shops make there money on the mark-up of the materials, when you bring them all the parts it equals no profit. So now he's a hourly employee, he's going to charge more. I don't know about you but if I was in business making $39 per hr. I don't think I could afford to pay rent.

bbolander

to put it in perspective, i had a top quality uphostery shop do mine with them supplying marine vinyl materials in 1999 - front and rear seats $750, dash pad $200, front door panels $140 and they weld repaired a broken seat frame tab for $70. So that's $1160 with them providing top quality materials by a top quality shop.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
What they tell you is what it is! sounds fair to me, You guys got so much money yet your so cheep! Other people have to make a living too. At $600 that gives them 6 hours to do it. Sounds like they gona have to move pretty fast to do all that in 6 hours.

We paid $100 just to have a cracked side panel replaced in our leather jeep seat

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I paid a local shop $45.00 to upholster the rear seat and $90.00 each for the front seats. I think $600.00 is way to much for that job. I would check around to some other shops. Yes people need to make money but not that much.

Henry

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I did it myself. First time I had ever done it and turned out great. There are some threads on here with great tips and tricks. It really wasn't that difficult.

It did take me a long time to do, maybe 10 hours for both front seats.

I found a how to with pics somewhere and that was very helpful. Sorry but I didn't keep the link.

markperry

Bronco Guru
I would try to do it myself....I reupholstered my 67 Mustang myself seats, it wasn't easy but it came out nice! Go for it you can always take it to an upholstery shop if it doesn't come out to your standards.

79360008.jpg

D ROCK

I paid 250 to have mine put on, with me providing the materials from madeone4u from ebay.

One guy here told me 450 to put them on not for him to make anything.

Shop around you can probably find somebody for close to what you want to pay. Just keep looking.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Henry, do you have photos of your interior? Those prices sound unreasonably low! They must either be super super fast, or just be doing this for sh*ts &giggles.

I'd be interested to hear what others have paid to have it done.

I'm pretty sure that just like anything else, if I spend enough time and effort on it I could do it myself. Recovering the seats is about the last thing on my list of "things I'd enjoying doing to the Bronco" so I'd really like to have it professionally done. Just not for $625 :)

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I grew up in Oxnard and there are a lot of shops in the area.I'd take my supplies and visit a few and see what they charge. I remember a supply store in the 5th st./industrial ave area that had a bulletin board with a lot of business cards. Habla espanol?
I'd be game to try it myself. Spend some time and google auto upolstery and you'll probably find you tube videos showing the tricks,after all it's not brain surgery...

berg bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
franklin NC
I had all three seats redone for 400 and I supplied the material. it was done well and for what i thought was a fair price.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I was quoted $600.00 to upholster my 1970 Bronco (front&rear) and that seems way to high to me. Since I already have the seat covers, new foam and the stockfront seats I was hoping to pay about $300.00. I could do it myself, but Ive never done that and I want it done right. Whats the going rate, it doesnt seem that time consuming to me, but I really have no idea. I live near Ventura County, Ca if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks in advance,

Whiskey Tango

Inhad a guy quote me $400 fornthe rear seat alone! He then told me to use this upholstery paint from Colors. The stuff cost like $14 a can but well worth it. The sprayed seats look great.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The last car we had an interior done at the old shop when I was there, cost the owner a paultry $18,000! Granted it was full blown custom, leather/suade seats with cobra skin inserts, leather floors and head liner, full custom hidden stereo....... Oh and it was a 1936 Dodge 4 door. That car won 'runner up' at the good guys show in Denver last year!

That said if you are supplying the seat covers, foam and everything else, I'd say the seats should be NO more than a couple hundred. If the shop is doing the seats with their own parts AND are doing it in leather they shouldn't more than $800 or so, maybe even as low as $600 if the shop is hungry?

Keep shopping

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Henry, do you have photos of your interior? Those prices sound unreasonably low! They must either be super super fast, or just be doing this for sh*ts &giggles.

I'd be interested to hear what others have paid to have it done.

I'm pretty sure that just like anything else, if I spend enough time and effort on it I could do it myself. Recovering the seats is about the last thing on my list of "things I'd enjoying doing to the Bronco" so I'd really like to have it professionally done. Just not for $625 :)

My seats.

2012-08-16_22-24-03_288.jpg

Henry

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Check with SSDDBRONCO

His family owns an upholstery shop in Thousand Oaks (or near there).

It really depends on what your looking for. If your standards are high and you want perfect, $600 ain't so bad. I've recovered seats with pre-made covers and it's a pain in the ass. It also takes a lot of time and effort to get pre-made to look perfect (sometimes even minor re-stitching). If you can find the Amish guys number (yes, he has a cell), they do amazing work at a reasonable price, but you have to factor shipping. Check out GAS PIG's '66 roadster, it's flawless and has pre-made covers that the Amish installed. I also think rmiller747 used them as well.
If you just want your seats covered, you should be able to find someone to do it for $250-$300, but in this case, you get what you pay for.

Last edited: