• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how to find rear end gears

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
If there is no tags jack up one back wheel and leave the other on the ground (unless you have a locker). Watch the ujoint or CV on the driveshaft while you turn the tire one full turn. However many times the driveshaft turns around you need to divide by two. 3.50 gears would turn the driveshaft around 7 times, 4.11 would turn it 8.22 times. If you have a locker and have them both up then it would be the exact rotations of the driveshaft you would count (3.5 turns for 3.50's etc)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Look at the VIN tag there should be axle codes there also if it still has the small metal tags on either diff it will have the gear ratio stamp on it,

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
tabascom16 said:
If there is no tags jack up one back wheel and leave the other on the ground (unless you have a locker). Watch the ujoint or CV on the driveshaft while you turn the tire one full turn. However many times the driveshaft turns around you need to divide by two. 3.50 gears would turn the driveshaft around 7 times, 4.11 would turn it 8.22 times. If you have a locker and have them both up then it would be the exact rotations of the driveshaft you would count (3.5 turns for 3.50's etc)
I would do it this way even if there are tags. I've seen too many of them that had a different tag than gears to trust it to be correct.

bandit

Loc.
Afton
I agree,I bought a '77 rear end a couple of years ago the tag said 3.50's,and there were 4.11's inside.The tag can stay on,even after someone switches gears.