• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to fit a hard top in the bed of a pick-up???

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
Howdy All!!!

I am possibly selling a hard-top and need to know... Is it possible to fit a hard-top in the back of a standard bed pick-up WITH A CAPPER???

Or will you end up breaking something???

When I picked it up I had to squeeze it in the back of my truck and it almost didn't make it in even then!

It is almost better than they were from the factory as far as the shape it is in so I am sure rub'n or scrape'n anything would NOT be too good!

Any help Y-all can offer will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

take care all!

:cool:

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Unlikely. I had to twist mine to get it into the bed of my F150 (6 1/2 bed). Once in, it was fine.

I recommend borrowing a small trailer and tying it down real well.

Jeff

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I got one guy on each side, flipped it upside down and set it on top of the tonneau(put a blanket on top first so you dont scratch the paint. Then tied 'er down.

JKrieg70

Loc.
Columbus, GA
What if you took two or three 2x4's that were 6-8 feet long and bolted them them to the top using the existing holes. This would stabilize the sides and then with the wood sticking out from the sides of the hardtop just set it on top of the bedrails. Strap it down using the wood as an attachment point.

Scrapper_MV

What if you took two or three 2x4's that were 6-8 feet long and bolted them them to the top using the existing holes. This would stabilize the sides and then with the wood sticking out from the sides of the hardtop just set it on top of the bedrails. Strap it down using the wood as an attachment point.

I second this idea. It worked for me a few years ago. But you will have to take the camper off of the pick up. I put eye bolts throught the 2x4s for tie down locations.

Then when you get the hard top home the 2x4s make great points to lift up the top and store up high in the garage.

mike.l

Loc.
Milwaukee,WI

I've done this. Hauled it about 600 miles. I put it on backwards so it wouldn't pocket as much air. No problems.

crewdg

Loc.
Heber Springs, AR
Mine fit perfectly in a 96 F-150 shortbed with the tailgate down. Slide it in forward up to the wheel wells and strap it down.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Slick, Where is it going? I Work in Charlevoix, live near Elk Rapids and am going downstate this weekend with our F-250, or I am heading up to the UP next weekend. PM me if I can help you.

Grant

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
THX guys!!!

all the help has helped me A-lot!!!

Grant_71, I super appreciate the offer, but it appears as though the gentleman buy'n the top is going to borrow a snomobile trailor BUT it was AWSOME of you to offer!

THX guys! NOW all I need is 1 of either Chucks or Saddle up's new soft tops!!

...but I digress

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Not to thread jack but Slick I need to get up to p-town after work some night and see yer rig, mine wont be out till its a little warmer, but EB's are few and far between around here....road salt seems to take the best of em.

Grant

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
yer welcome to, but I'd recomend wait'n cause mine is about to be torn appart!

the rear fenders are be'n replaced (due to the CANCER caused by the sillt pinch weld between the fenders and bed rails) I sand blasted all the rust I saw and THOUGHT I got to metal BUT low and behold it came back like E. A. Poe's black cat!!!!

there are a few folks that have mentioned meet'n up round these here parts... perhaps all of us should do it at once! make a wheel'n trip of it!