• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydraulic slave cylinder question?

FrankSG

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Everyone,

I'm having an issue with my ZF S5-42 slave cylinder. When I'm depressing the clutch pedal, it only travels two inches at the top end and disengages the entire clutch, likewise when letting the clutch pedal out it only travels two inches before it is engaging at the top end again. Additionally for being a hydraulic master cylinder it is very stiff pushing in... it's almost as though there is no hydraulic assist. Any help would greatly be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Frank

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
In different years Ford had two different size hydraulic master cylinders and slave cylinders to match.
A common problem is mismatching the master cylinder with the slave cylinder for the other size.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Also. If you look under the dash of a super duty there is a helper spring attached to the clutch lever. I thought it was a return spring but if you watch it and operate it with your hand you can see it is an assist spring. So they are stiff from the factory. So much so that ford put an assist spring on it. Mine is stiff too without that spring but it doesnt release like yours. You must have mismatched slave/ master but matching them Wont fix the stiffness

OP
OP
FrankSG

FrankSG

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks guys. I installed a factory slave cylinder for the ZF transmission the master cylinder was initially purchased from BC Broncos which is probably why they're miss matched. Does anyone know what the master cylinder part number would be in order to match the Ford slave cylinder I've installed. Really anywhere that you could point me for info on matching would help. It will be much easier for me to change the master cylinder versus the slave cylinder. Either that or just live with it the way it is and put a helper spring in.

Thanks
Frank

Joe473

Try Napa 72176. I researched this when I did my M5R2. Slaves appear to be a consistent part number but the masters changed and had a small and big bore. You want the small bore for better feel. Our resident ford parts guy (tasker) may be able to confirm this for you.

I have the big bore by accident and same feel you have. I had an f150 3 on the tree in High school with the external slave that had same feel so it doesn't bother me... and it's fun watching others try to drive it!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk