• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydro assist ram size

Sabas

I have 37" Goodyear military bealocks, question do I go
I run explorer set- up if that matters
1.5x8" ram or 1.75 x 8" ram
I drive on freeways to get to trails.

Thanks Sabas

OP
OP
S

Sabas

Mark
Even for a freeway driver?? I hear the bigger ram has a little slower reaction .

Sabas

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
im not sure you want a 8" even! Have you measured your tie rod travel yet? more than likely if its a dana 44 your gona want a 6" ram. And you dont want too small of ram or youll end up with over sensitive steering on the hiway, you want slower reaction. The ram not only helps save wear on the steering box but acts as a steering stabilizer.

I have heard alot of guys with a 8" ram having to take it apart and add washers to get the travel less than 8". no need for a larger ram than needed. 8" is what everybody has always used but im not sure thats necessary unless your running a full width 44 or a dana 60.

Turn wheel left and mark it in relation to something that dont move like the axle, then turn right. How far does a stock bronco 44 tie rod move?? im not real sure myself but I know that the heep 44's are starting to use a 6" ram nowadays instead of a 8" also. If you push to far your gona break a knuckle ear!

Last edited:

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
I have the 1.5 x 8" psc ram and wonder the same thing should I have went with the 6" stroke.....at full lock mine squeals now where it never did before......I also run the WH extreme psc pump kit

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
somebody should chime in and measure there tie rod travel for us. Mine is in storage till spring or id do it right now. A have posted a few times about the 8" maybe being too long and i shurly dont wana be talking out my ass like i usually do!;)

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
I run the 2wd box ported......so that maybe a li different

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
sure i suppose it differs with box and pitman arm travel also. Im gona meaasure mine this spring after i do my 4x4x2 swap. I just read someware that a 6" for dana 30 and 44 and a 8" for dana 60. And since the bronco has a narrow 44 even then id think 8" is a bit much. Here i go again out my bum hole!

Now that i think about it tire size and steering stop adjustment also would change ram length wouldnt it?

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Yes it will...I'm in the process of putting new iroks back on my bead locks going from boggers so hopefully that will help......Howe steering recommends the 6" as we'll.....my steering stops are gone cause I have the Chevy disc set up

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I also like the 1.75" rams. 8" stroke and am using about all of it on both rigs. I have a stock explorer pump on the racer. It could stand to be upgraded (sent to Lee's), but works.

Do you run the H1's? I've had a few sets but don't like how much they weigh, especially wheeling with a D44 front.

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
STLO are you running the 2wd f100 box. If so do you have pick and info you can get me on porting it.

Howe and redneck say 6" on a D44 as not to break anything.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Yes I run the f100 2wd box.....have since prolly 96' or so......run BC heim steering.....just sent it out to west Texas(redneck ram) last year and had it rebuilt ......run an alum rad to boot.....let me see if I have any pics

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
I think they were on my HTC phone which took a crap on me.....I'll take some more tomm.

MarkH@Wildhorse

Contributor
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Mark
Even for a freeway driver?? I hear the bigger ram has a little slower reaction .

Sabas

I ran a 1.5" ram on mine and I felt it just did not have the power I was looking for.
We put a 1.75" on my friends daily driver and it worked awesome, it was quick and had loads of power.
I found the 2" way too slow to be used as assist. The 1.75 was just like the three little bears, it was just right.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Just to add to the confusion...

Dana 44, 1 5/8" dia ram, need a full 7 3/4" ram travel, 37" tires, PSC hi-capacity pump.

I think why I need so much travel is because I've got full strg capabilities. I've got Cage extended arms that allow full use of my steering and my stops have been backed way off so I can turn almost back to stock turning radius.

Last edited: