• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost Pedal Feel - Should it feel this spongy

OP
OP
K

KDML

TOFIC

I started your re-bleed procedure, but wanted to confirm something before I continue.

I disconnected the LP line from the PS pump and capped the PS pump connection. The other end of the line is still attached to the Hboost. I placed the hose in a jug and started the engine and let it idle. Nothing came out of the hose - is that OK?. I couldn't get anything to come out of the hose until I stepped on the brake pedal. Fluid flowed most when I had the pedal down. Once I let up it slowed to a trickle then stopped.

Just want to be sure this does not indicate a problem.

Thanks

OP
OP
K

KDML

So I finally got back at my brake issue. I ran throught TOFIC's flushing process 2 times and still had the same results. I swapped in another master cylinder and the sponginess went away - so it was either a problem MC or I did a better job bench bleeding it. I still can push the pedal to the floor, but it was well beyond the point of lockup and I literally push myself out of the seat doing it. If I get the urge one day, I might pull apart the hydroboost unit and rebuild it just to be sure there is not some lingering issue, but I drove the Bronco for an hour the other night and all went well

Ed74

Loc.
San Diego, CA
KDML,

Glad to hear everything worked out. I currently have a BC setup in my bronco and I would like to convert it to an Astro hydroboost as well. Can you possibly post some pics of your set-up. It would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Ed

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Ed74
I have some pictures of the tee setup and the dual return
Also have some of the shifted hydroboost setup (mounted in clutch pedal location)
Want some of these pictures??
TOFIC
KDML
glad you found your problem, I trust you are enjoying the "stop on a dime, and get 9 cents change" style of braking??

Ed74

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Thanks TOFIC! Some pics of the tee and dual return would be great. I am looking to see how KDML mounted his Astro booster to his BC angles bracket.

Thanks again,
Ed

OP
OP
K

KDML

Pictures as requested.

Setup consists of BCB angle bracket, threaded rod couplers to space hydroboost off the bracket, homemade flat mounting plate and the astro hydroboost. I could not find a threaded rod end I liked to mate the hydroboost pushrod to the BCB bracket so I ordered a 3/8 rod end blank from McMaster-Carr (#6065K241) and drilled, shaved and threaded it to fit. I bought adaptors from Summit to convert the hydroboost high pressure fittings to -6an (part numbers were AER-FBM2608 and AER-FBM2609). If you have any specific questions or need other pictures let me know

Good luck

Attachments

• DSC09079 - revised.JPG
    DSC09079 - revised.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC09080 - revised.JPG
    DSC09080 - revised.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC09081 - revised.JPG
    DSC09081 - revised.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC09082 - revised.JPG