• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost puking fluid through the PS pump resevoir

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
So just like the title says, even when the truck is off, I seem to be losing fluid out of the cap of the PS pump... it's odd to say the least. I first noticed it as the truck sat after our inaugural run (with a TON of bumps)... there was a small puddle that kept nice a moist for a few days. All of sudden I noticed it drying up, and pulled the PS pump resevoir cap only to realize that the dip stick was just BARELY wet... so I imagine once enough leaked out, maybe it stopped that way. Who knows.

As far as performance... truck seems to be OK as far as PS and PB goes... but not like most people say... There really isn't any chance of going through the windshield with the stopping power, and the steering is OK but gets kind of difficult at times.

The Hydroboost is from a Chevy K-5 Blazer (along with the MC), and there's 4 wheel disc all around, Ford up front and Wilwood in the back.

Thoughts?

The pictures are what Vanco asked us to take to try and help but he didn't have any advice...

Attachments

• Pushrod Hydroboost.jpg
    Pushrod Hydroboost.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_6738.jpg
    DSC_6738.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_6740.jpg
    DSC_6740.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_6741.jpg
    DSC_6741.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_6742.jpg
    DSC_6742.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_6743.jpg
    DSC_6743.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_6748.jpg
    DSC_6748.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Hydroboost.jpg
    Hydroboost.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_6732.jpg
    DSC_6732.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_6728.jpg
    DSC_6728.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_6727.jpg
    DSC_6727.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_6726.jpg
    DSC_6726.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
More pictures...

Couple of more pictures...

Attachments

• DSC_6725.jpg
    DSC_6725.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_6724.jpg
    DSC_6724.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 7

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I had fluid puking from my cap after my first attempt at bleeding the system. Then I tried bleeding it again with a lot more patience the second time and the puking stopped. How did you bleed your system?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I don't see anything plumbed wrong but it should stop better. How much pedal pressure do you need to stop?
Both of my trucks require only the weight of my for to stop and just a little more pressure to lock up the brakes. The line on the left of the booster as you are looking at it from the front should be the hi pressure in and the left should be hi pressure out.

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
I don't see anything plumbed wrong but it should stop better. How much pedal pressure do you need to stop?
Both of my trucks require only the weight of my for to stop and just a little more pressure to lock up the brakes. The line on the left of the booster as you are looking at it from the front should be the hi pressure in and the left should be hi pressure out.

At this point, I can still push the pedal pretty close to the floor... I mean, the truck stops, but it's not like what I have heard others talk about. I've heard some folks just use 1/3 of the throw of the pedal... that's not the case with our setup...

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Air trapped in the system. When the engine is running the bubbles in the fluid are compressed and the level drops. When the engine is off, pressure in the system drops and the bubbles expand. As the air bubbles expand it pushes fluid back to the reservoir, past the cap seal and onto anything below. Put fluid in the system. With the cap off have someone start the engine and see if the fluid level drops. If so you have trapped air. That is what I noticed when I first set up my system.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
If you are not kissing the windshield something is wrong.
leaking fluid is usually air in system most of the time
I have two suggestions for you.
HB from a blazer what master are you using. If it is not another GM product ie camaro, corvette or caddy, you have a intermediate rod length problem. the system is NOT working correctly
As to air in the system this could be it but it also could be a partially sticking valve in the hydroboost. if the sliding valve in the HB does not work exactly right you have a binding problem and the fluid will bubble because of this. Also your brakes will not work correctly (your case) or they bind on. ( the other case)

first thing to do, do a fluid change on the whole PS system.
You do this by pumping the fluid out of the system into a catch jug while adding fresh stuff into the system. this takes about 2 quarts of PS fluid to achieve.
You do this by putting the low pressure return line from the PS box (not the HB line) in the jug, start the engine at idle and start pouring until you have exchanged the fluid in the system. stop the motor and do a air bleed sequence and things should be better.
TOFIC