• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost push rod to master cylinder?

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
What are you guys using for a push rod for the master cylinder from the hydroboost? Are you just cutting down the stock push rod from the stock MC?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
It's from about a 1999 Powerstroke. I'm guessing though that they are pretty much the same. The master cylinder I use is a 78 Mark VII one if that helps.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
The rod should be part of the hydroboost unit. I know it is with the Astro hydroboost. I can't say the same for the Lincoln.

Here is a breakdown pic of the Astro unit.

Attachments

• DSC00922.JPG
    DSC00922.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC00928.JPG
    DSC00928.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Madgyver said:
The rod should be part of the hydroboost unit. I know it is with the Astro hydroboost. I can't say the same for the Lincoln.

Here is a breakdown pic of the Astro unit.

Are you saying the rod inside of the spring in the 2nd pic? Is this what pushes the MC when you push on the brakes? It 'appears' to me that that piece goes inside the boost unit, not out the front, but maybe I am looking at it wrong???

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Yes,
In the 1st pic I had the springs laid out wrong.
I took another picture (2nd) of it laid out correctly.

Notice the springs and the rod. In the 1st picture, the rod is out and above half of the unit. see the plastic stopper on the end of the rod? That part goes inside and the star shape washer goes in after, it holds the rod in the center and also guides it.

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Well, I believe my Lincoln must be different. Here is what I have and ALL I have.
I was thinking about making my own push rod. Is there anything that I need to know?

pumpandhydroboost006.jpg

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
beyer05 said:
Well, I believe my Lincoln must be different. Here is what I have and ALL I have.
I was thinking about making my own push rod. Is there anything that I need to know?

pumpandhydroboost006.jpg
Your missing both the push rod and the retainer. The retainer as Mad mentioned above is kind of like a star washer that will be the same size as the outer diameter above. You could probably yank one out of another unit at the local u-pull-it.

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have not been able to find one at the local yards. Anyone else have the piece I need for sale???? Can I make this stuff, or is it something that has to be pretty precise?

Edit: What is the spring around the pushrod for? I am thinking a rod with something to hold it in the center would work unless the spring is needed to retract the rod into the booster unit???

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Well, I hooked it all up last night and 'garage tested it and it seemed to work. I just (temporarily) used a 4 1/2" bolt from the hydroboost end (pictured above) and the MC (stock for now). So, I guess my question above still stands, what would be the problem with just making a push rod to go from one to the other?
Also, does anyone have a good picture of the parts I am missing? I would like to se what they look like (in a Lincoln booster)?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
beyer05 said:
Well, I hooked it all up last night and 'garage tested it and it seemed to work. I just (temporarily) used a 4 1/2" bolt from the hydroboost end (pictured above) and the MC (stock for now). So, I guess my question above still stands, what would be the problem with just making a push rod to go from one to the other?
Also, does anyone have a good picture of the parts I am missing? I would like to se what they look like (in a Lincoln booster)?
Don't get too hung up on the type of booster. They are all almost identical with only some mounting differences. As far as the pushrod goes the only difference is going to be how long it is for a particular master cylinder. Otherwise I doubt there will be much difference. Below I have taken Mads picture and circled the two pieces on it that you are missing. The rod (top circled item) goes in first with the white washer piece to the inside. Then the star washer looking retainer goes in to hold the rod in it with the tongs to the outside. (It is probably slightly concave) The tongs grab the inside to keep it from coming back out. I would suggest at least using something there to keep the rod centered if you decide to make one because the washer isn't there just to hold it in but is also there to keep the rod in the right place. Otherwsie there is a chance it could fall down when you let off the brakes and no longer be centered. Depending upon the situation there is the potential it could lock the brakes up if that happened.

Attachments

• BoostAssy.JPG
    BoostAssy.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Ok, this is helping.
1. Does anyone have a better picture of the rod?
2. Where does the star washer mount to on the booster?
3. Does the MC pressure push the rod back into the booster?

Here is what I am thinking:
1. Take the old push rod cut to length.
2. Weld a washer to it on the end right by the 'cupped' part of the booster to simulate the white washer.
3. Make/find a washer to simulate the 'star' washer that will sit in the end of the booster to keep the rod centered but allow it to slide in and out.

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
beyer05 said:
Ok, this is helping.
1. Does anyone have a better picture of the rod?
2. Where does the star washer mount to on the booster?
3. Does the MC pressure push the rod back into the booster?

Here is what I am thinking:
1. Take the old push rod cut to length.
2. Weld a washer to it on the end right by the 'cupped' part of the booster to simulate the white washer.
3. Make/find a washer to simulate the 'star' washer that will sit in the end of the booster to keep the rod centered but allow it to slide in and out.

I was thinking of a quick yard run on Saturday morning, even though it's deathly hot around here (114 today). I could probably pick apart a Lincoln unit real quick while I'm there and see if I could pocket the parts you need. Let me know what size wrench I need for the nuts that hold the master cylinder on and I'll see what I can do.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
beyer05 said:
That would be great. The threads are 3/8". I guess a 5/8" or 11/16" wrench??

OK, as promised, I stopped by the yard today on the way home from work and got the pieces you need-pushrod, spring, and 'star washer' from a '77 Lincoln. As I recalled from my older Caddy boosters, the Lincoln pushrod does not have one of the white teflon-like washers on it like the later Super Duty units do.

$10 for everything-check your PMs.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Toddz69 da man!

Man that is awesome! :eek: I appreciate it VERY much. Paypal should already be there. I threw in a little extra for your time. If I can ever help you in any way, let me know. I can't even find people around here that even know what a hydroboost is, let alone parts. Thanks again.