• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost return line "T" fitting

Which Unit needs the "straight shot" of the "T"?

• A - Hydroboost unit

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • B - Power Steering Box

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • C - Neither, they can share.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hammer

Bronco Guru
So while doing my research on this forum I've read threads where guys have explained 3 different ways to hook up the "T" fitting, all claiming that each way is the best way to go. The first two arguments will revolve around which unit needs the "straight shot" of the T fitting into the reservoir. The third argument says neither needs dominance and they can both enter at a 90.

So which is BEST?

TFitingHydroboost.jpg

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The PS box back to the reservoir gets the straight shot. The HB doesn't put out much fluid, only a couple tablespoons full for each brake actuation. The PS box is always returning fluid to the reservoir.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You do not want C, either A or B, you just don't want the returns opposing each other. I have run mine with a T for several years and experimenting found no difference between A and B.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I debated the Tee return line question, and wound up removing the pump housing and silver-brazing a second fitting onto the housing...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use diagram A as drawn. Most importantly is to get a fitting with large flow area. You dont want a high pressure fitting with its thicker than normal wall. What you havent drawn in the system is the powersteering cooler which should be in the powersteering return line before returning to the pump reservoir.

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
Do you need a powersteering cooler if you are not crawling, just weekend top down cruiser?

Thanks
Scott

Cheap insurance. I run 37's so it was a must for me. I have one already plumbed with my exp serp conversion.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I'm one of 2 that say if you are going to "T" then the Hydroboost should get the straight shot. That is how I ran mine back before I went with a dual return pump (78 Lincoln Mark IV). I never had a problem with the "T" return though. My logic is that the Hydroboost is the thing that is going to screw up if it sees backpressure. I don't think the steering is nearly as sensitive to the backpressure because it is nearly constantly flowing some fluid.

What you need to find is someone that has had a problem with the "T" return and then switched it around and got it to work. Most of the people that have had a problem with the "T" return just go straight to dual return pump so that won't be much of a help for you.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What you need to find is someone that has had a problem with the "T" return and then switched it around and got it to work.

You found him. That's why I said above you do not want "C".

I later added ram assist and still works fine. I am hooked up as shown on "B" but have had it on "A" both work the same. I have the stock inline cooler between the "T" and the pump. The only issue I have had is applying the brakes hard while idling, the steering isn't as easy but just a little throttle and all is well.