• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I Found A Hydro Booster!!!

JoeBronc74

Loc.
FAYETTEVILLE
Many thanks for all the inputs to my last thd. I always get some good answers here, THANKS AGAIN! I found a hydro at a local you-yank it junk joint! it's out of a astro van, ($50) will this work? it looks like the one in the tech artical. Next, is it a must to have power steering or can i just use this hydro booster for brakes?? I realy don't want to get into the steering yet, as it steers good, no wondering like alot EB's do.
my 74 bronc currently has no booster, just master cyl, mann steering, and drum brakes, yea shes a peach though and i am slowly trying to make it, well more driver friendly, and stopping is at the top Of the list right now.
THANKS AGAIN.

Broncos n' VWs

Before you do the H-boost, you really should convert those old front drum brakes to discs. It's just the smart thing to do, IMO. How are you going to mount the booster? I did the angled bracket, like on the vacuum booster. It's awesome.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Hydro

Yes You Can Have Hrdro Brakes With Out Power Steering ....
Years Ago I Bought A 1976 Chevy 1 Ton Truck "very Used" For The Farm
Well It Only Had These Great Power Brakes ...with No Brakes On The Trailor It Would Stop A Trailor With 125 Heavy Square Bales Of Hay
Like It Had Brakes On Trailor And Good Ones On The Truck ....as I Looked At It And Compaired It To Other Trucks Coming Into My Auto Store I Ordered Me Some More Hoses And Went To The Wrecking Yard And Got Me A Steering Box For 25.00 Buck And My Old Just Truck Was Soon Great !!!!
Course New Paint And A New Flat Bed And Tires Knee Deep In Rubber .. Didn't Hurt It Either
Pa Pitt....
Try It Your Way And Then Up Grade To The Next Step ....

OP
OP
JoeBronc74

JoeBronc74

Loc.
FAYETTEVILLE
Good Call

I appreciate your help. So I can run a Hyd-booster for just brakes. But iF i CAN swing a deal at the local junk yard I'll try and get a pwr steering unit too!
I don't know anything about pwr steering swaps, but I guess I am about to learn, there ain't nothing too it...right boys? ;D I mean with help from such a great group of bronco lovers I feel like I can get anything accomplished that needs to get done. cheers Joebronc74

pahoughton

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
Just to be clear, you can run hydro boost w/o power steering, but you do need the power steering PUMP. Probably obvious, just didn't want you to go astray ;D

BG's 68 Bronco

Hey I'm confused here guys... you need power steering. This is where the H-boost gets the its power from. The PS pump is pushing the PS fluid throught the high pressure line to the h-boost then from the h-boos two the steering box and from the steering box back to the pump... There is also a return line on the h-boost, which is why it is a nicer option to use a dual return pump, but can be done without.

On the other hand you could install the h-boost with no PS, but it will be no different than having your manual brakes.

Ohhh I think I understand what you are saying Pahoughton, but why would you just complete the job and put a PS box on too??

crawln68

Bronco Guru
You MUST have a power steering pump to power the hydroboost unit. No way around that. Now it makes sense to install a power steering box while you are in there doing this, because as you stated, you run the power steering box in line on your high pressure side plumbing. Then the return line from your power steering box and hydroboost go back into the reservoir of the pump. And yes, it's better to run a dual return reservoir to avoid any back pressure to the hydroboost unit. They don't like back pressure. Clear as mud? ;D

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I hate to burst your bubble but - - -
you must have power steering with a Gen II unit (Astro). This is because of the way the hydroboost unit handles the high pressure side of things. When the brakes are not using the pressure the hydroboost unit passes the HP right through itself to the power steering box where the pressure is handled correctly. This is why PS Boxes are so heavy.
I cannot argue with PaPitt on the older Gen I unit but I have suspect it was the "one off,one year" unit that GM had and dumped quickly. This one had a remote reservoir also. ToddZ may have more information on that unit as he has played with it.
Don't play with this, here is a absolutely great excuse to put in power steering.
TOFIC

OP
OP
JoeBronc74

JoeBronc74

Loc.
FAYETTEVILLE
More PWR STEERING Q'S?

I Have A (astro) Hyd Booster, So My Best Set Up Is To Get A Pwr Steering Unit And Of Course I Need The Pump And Brackets.

I Found A 1970's ? Maybe 73 Or 75 F100 Truck W Pwr Steering And Pump & Brackets, But I Am Not Sure If This Will Work On My 74 Bronco, Anyone Know If These Will Work? What Are The Doner Souces I Can Use?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
JoeBronc74 said:
I Have A (astro) Hyd Booster, So My Best Set Up Is To Get A Pwr Steering Unit And Of Course I Need The Pump And Brackets.

I Found A 1970's ? Maybe 73 Or 75 F100 Truck W Pwr Steering And Pump & Brackets, But I Am Not Sure If This Will Work On My 74 Bronco, Anyone Know If These Will Work? What Are The Doner Souces I Can Use?
Recommendation for you, Talk to Madgyver on this site.
He "breeds" Broncos and I hear he has a new "litter" of 77's at his place.
You might be able to talk him out of a PS setup for a good price and he is the Astro hydroboost guru.
BTW, Bronco power steering is unique. Only Bronco PS fits a Bronco. So get a setup from here, off Ebay or talk Madgyver or someone here out of one of theirs. Broncolove may have one too.
TOFIC