• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I know this is just for Broncos, but......Auto Trans Fluid changing question.

I have a question about flushing transmissions.

I have a 2003 Ch!*y Suburban that is overdue for an ATF change. I'm doing it myself, and want to get as much of the old stuff out as possible. I know how to do the pan/filter that's easy, but I guess I should disconnect the line to the cooler too to get the stuff out of the torque converter. Do I put it in Drive while doing this??

Does anyone have any experience in this, or know of any good instructions online. I've never done this before.

Thanks, and sorry for the Ch!*y question;)

flousberg

drain the tranny, take off the pan and replace the filter, then put in basically what you took out. Take the return line off of you cooler back to you transmission and get a 5-10' of clear hose. Start up your vehicle and start going through the gears pausing at each one. Watch the clear tubing, you will see a air bubble then the color of the fluid will change from the dark red to bright red. Shut of vehicle and top off tranny. This should get everything out of the torque converter and valves. Depending on your transmission, you might have to have someone add fluid slowly as you have it running.