• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I need your input on some items.

oldskool

Loc.
Denver
Hi Guys,

I need your input on some items, I'm thinking about buying for my rebuild. Tell me if which ones or best or waste of time.

1, Shorty Headers or Pro flow Headers
2, Stock Oil Pan or New rear Sump Oil Pan (7 Quarts)

Thanks

PS: Check out my Gallery. It is the start of my build. Take a close look at frame of it side you can see Iron Cross. I'm a newbie so I can't post any pic's. But I will continue to add pics in my Gallery.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Proflow headers longer tubes make more torque. Most Shroty headers are not much better than stock manifolds.
While more oil is good there really nothing wrong with the stock pan carbed engines usually need a oil change right around 3000 miles anyways. Just a ends up having to buy more oil.
Instead of a oil pan use the money to get the ceramic coated headers.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
the bigger pan should also be baffled inside, which is nice for off camber situations.

shorty headers tend to build a lot more heat at the lower collector than long tubes (according to my muffler guy), so if you get shortys get ball flange collectors or slip fit (i don't care for slip fit, but....).

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
Doesnt matter if your a newbie or not you have to become a contributor to post pics in a thread. Its like $12 a year. I thought the same thing when I joined.

Welcome to the site!

markperry

Bronco Guru
Proflow headers longer tubes make more torque. Most Shroty headers are not much better than stock manifolds.
While more oil is good there really nothing wrong with the stock pan carbed engines usually need a oil change right around 3000 miles anyways. Just a ends up having to buy more oil.
Instead of a oil pan use the money to get the ceramic coated headers.

I used these proflow headers from wildhorses! They fit very nicely and the bigger capacity oilpan is nice but make sure you extend the oiling tube!:eek:

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Longtubes - if you are going to put headers on the motor, why not make more power?

Forget the bigger oil pan - add an accusump. Adds the 3qt capacity, better oiling then anything else in off camber situations and you can give the motor full operating pressure on startup :)

It will cost about the same in the end and be better then a low hanging oil pan.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-24-006/?image=large

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Shorty's and stock pan. You need more room to work under there with all the mods you have planned and shorty's give more room

Stock pan. Why waste money on an bigger pan? With the stocker the engine will last 200k miles if you take care of it by changing the oil. You won't get it to last any longer with a bigger pan, and... oil change will cost 5 to 10$ more, so over the life of the engine miles you would expect to spend up to $400 dollars more on oil.
Now if you are going to race it and you need the extra capacity to keep the oil cool, then thats another story.
Tom

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Don't have one yet - adding one with my motor build, cheap insurance. Way better then a large pan for 4x4 use. I would mount it away from the headers - maybe near the bottom of the radiator/frame area.