• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ideal Width

Solar Aviator

Aestheticly, I don't like the looks of full width and big tires make standard width look to narrow. I'm in the process of building up my axles and would like some opinions, pros, and cons.

Thanks, Dave...

Last edited:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
How much lift? What size tires?

If you run large tires with a decent lift then you probably want to go wider not for looks but for stability. You have acouple of options if you don't want to be as wide as full width but also not as narrow as stock. First is to run less backspacing on the rims with stock width, the other is to run more backspacing with full width. Both have their disadvantages. Less backspacing means it is going to be harder on ball joints, more backspacing cuts into the turning radius.

OP
OP
S

Solar Aviator

Planning on 3.5 inch lift and 33-35 inch tires. I've got a set of full width axles that I'll cut down. Just got a side cutter for my mill so I can cut splines and make them whatever length I want. I was going to use a D44 HP for the rear with 3 inch DOM tubes, big bearing ends, and cut down and resplined 9 inch axle shafts. Currie said I would have lubrication problems running DHP backwards so I decided to cut down a 9 inch out of a F150 and break the bank with a CHP. I'll be using a D44 HP with a WAH in the front and shorten and resplining the long shaft.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Solar Aviator said:
Planning on 3.5 inch lift and 33-35 inch tires. I've got a set of full width axles that I'll cut down. Just got a side cutter for my mill so I can cut splines and make them whatever length I want. I was going to use a D44 HP for the rear with 3 inch DOM tubes, big bearing ends, and cut down and resplined 9 inch axle shafts. Currie said I would have lubrication problems running DHP backwards so I decided to cut down a 9 inch out of a F150 and break the bank with a CHP. I'll be using a D44 HP with a WAH in the front and shorten and resplining the long shaft.
I don't know why there would be lubricating issue in the Early Bronco when Jeeps don't seem to have any (The HP D44 in the rear of older Jeeps is a fairly common swap). I wouldn't really want to run the gears backwards though myself. (Which is why I've never considered a high pinion rearend)

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I seems that the happy medium is 3" longer than the stock EB axles whereis the full length axles is 6" longer. If you have the skills and tools go the cut down route. I just got adaptors for the stock EB length axles and for the full length axles I have I'll run it as is on the other 77.
This is my opinion.

68ford

Bronco Guru
if you like the look of a 12.5 width tire on 10in wheel, which is very comon, run the full width with 8 in wide wheel, its 1/2in wider per side than 10s with stock axles. i was also told this, so i havent actually measured it myself, but i plan on finding out for myself soon.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Wide is good, but too wide can be problematic. Some of my favorite trails are made even more difficult by an extremely wide rig.

My rig's 75-1/2" wide, it just barely squeaks onto my trailer that's 76" wide. ;D

So far, I'm very happy with it this width.

More length is on the to-do list now.

I'm running 1-1/2" spacers on my stock width axles, and 3-1/2" BS wheels that are 15x8, and I'm running 38x12.50x15 tires.