• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

In need of more power steering help

gbronco

Loc.
Grasonville, MD
I am looking for advice on my P/S install. I have mounted my brackets and pump from a stock 73 P/S setup on my 1969 Bronco. I have bought a power steering shaft on ebay, but have hit a crossroad in mounting it in the truck. My old manual system just has the straight manual shaft. Do I need to cut this shaft and mount the splined rag joint end to the cut off shaft? Is there supposed to be a splined shaft on the end of the steering column for 1969? Do I need to swap the whole steering column out? Please help or email me with any close up photos of how the stock setup should look and any other parts I may need to buy. Thanks everyone for any help you can give me. What I thought would be a simple one day swap has turned into a headache. :mad:

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I bought from www.speedwaymotors.com part number 91032239. It is a U-JOINT, 13/16"-36 WELD-ON TO 3/4" RND for $49.00

You will have to cut your manual steering shaft. When you do...let me know the length of the remaining shaft. I need to cut mine..but it sounds like you might be doing it before I get to it. You can let me know the right length.

thanks
brian

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You don't have to swap out your entire column, but as stated above, you will need to cut the manual one piece shaft. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how the rag joint attached to the upper shaft since I didn't use a rag joint in my conversion. I used a 3/4" x 3/4" u-joint inbetween the two pieces of the shaft.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
The one piece manual steering shaft does not connect to a power steering box without modifications. The later model power steering shafts were 2 piece with a rag joint connecting the sections and the way it mated to the steering box is different as well. Depending on the year the lower steering shaft is also a different length.

There are a couple different ways to solve your problem:

1. As you stated, you can buy a later model steering column and everything will bolt right in, though you will also have to rewire the column since the connectors are not the same. I installed a '75 auto column in my '72 that I purchased for $50. It works very well and I'm happy with the results. Since I also converted to an auto tranny the later model column was the perfect solution for me.

2. You can modify your existing shaft to mate to the power steering box. You'll probably have to cut of a section of the steering shaft and have the new end welded on. One possibility is to get the lower steering shaft from a later model column, measure and cut down your existing shaft, and then attach everything from the rag joint down.

3. Buy a custom column and shaft. Lots of bronco vendors sell them and they should bolt right in, though you will still have to do the wiring. This is a more expensive option but you would end up with a very nice column and possibly tilt steering.

Remember, all bronco projects end up being far more complicated than you originally anticipated. Good luck.

70_Steve

Old Guy
[quote author=72bronco link=board=5;threadid=21715;start=0#msg167328 date=1062652599]
Remember, all bronco projects end up being far more complicated than you originally anticipated.
[/quote]

I need to print this out, frame it, and put it up in my garage!!! :eek: