• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

In need of speaker placement ideas

MI-Bronco

Finally got my tuner/cd player installed in the Tuffy and I'm trying to figure out where to put some speakers.....

I've looked at all the threads that have anything on speakers, but I haven't seen any that I really liked. I'm thinking of mounting some in the corners of my 4 point rollbar. You know the one with the legs on the wheel wells - yea I know..... Has anyone used any of these that are made for a heap?

I tried the LMC dual speaker that is supposed to fit in the dash, but it's too tight.

I don't like the idea of boxes taking up space.

I like the idea of speakers in the doors, but really don't want to cut holes in the doors.

I also like the idea of the speaker box sitting on the tunnel - worse case I might go that way.

Anyway, got any ideas, pics?

GrantMurray

Loc.
Austin, Texas
speakers

I placed some marine speakers right in front of the rear fenders. The bottoms are roughly 45 degree angle, so the speaker points up and lays flat. I run a dash unit with the speaker wires running through the firewall then under the truck and up to the speakers. Do you know what size of a speaker goes in the stock location of a 76 dash? I took my original out years ago and lost it. I've got it wired up for the 3rd speaker in the stock location but don't know what size goes there.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Grant,

IIRC - it's approximately a 4x6

I used the stock speaker location to mount a aux speaker for my CB. It's worked perfectly for some years now. I'm a little hard of hearing anyhow, and the CB speaker has sure been nice to have.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
speaker placement if sound quality matters is just like real estate-- It's all about location location location-- as far forward and out is the most desirable for the upper end, doors are only good for midbass or mini subs since legs block them & speakers are to close to the person on that particular side-- placing speakers in the wrong places for convenince such as together on the trans hump or behind the seats over the wheels wells will make a good pair of speakers sound bad as imaging & soundstage are thrown right out the window -

Attachments

• P5311487.JPG
    P5311487.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 113
  • P5311486.JPG
    P5311486.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 117

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
GrantMurray said:
I placed some marine speakers right in front of the rear fenders. The bottoms are roughly 45 degree angle, so the speaker points up and lays flat. I run a dash unit with the speaker wires running through the firewall then under the truck and up to the speakers. Do you know what size of a speaker goes in the stock location of a 76 dash? I took my original out years ago and lost it. I've got it wired up for the 3rd speaker in the stock location but don't know what size goes there.
--------- it's was a 5" or 5 1/4 " (depending on the way they measure) round speaker not oval------

Attachments

• P5311488.JPG
    P5311488.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P5311492.JPG
    P5311492.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P5311493.JPG
    P5311493.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 41

GrantMurray

Loc.
Austin, Texas
That's why I've been confused and looking for the wrong speaker, the one I took out was oval. He had the factory holes bolted up with nuts on the back, but had the speaker somehow mounted inside the 'round' pattern. It looked factory because it was freshly painted way back when. Previous owner must have changed it along the way. I'll have a sweet 3 speaker system now. Nice to know, Thanks!

jarrod

Loc.
Cedar Hills, Utah
I put some wakeboard tower speakers on my rollcage they just bolt on with a clamp and i dont think most thieves carry the right alan wrench with them so they are pretty secure and since they are made for the elements you dont have to worry about going topless

OP
OP
MI-Bronco

MI-Bronco

jarrod said:
I put some wakeboard tower speakers on my rollcage they just bolt on with a clamp and i dont think most thieves carry the right alan wrench with them so they are pretty secure and since they are made for the elements you dont have to worry about going topless

I like that idea!!!
Looked at some and they are expensive :eek:

LA Kevin

Loc.
Pasadena, CA
Same dilemna as well. Will be putting in some front speakers next week. Looked at the jeep speaker bars and that won't work, wakeboard towers were really pricey (at least the ones I found while googling) and the door or under dash doesn't seem all that appealing. Enquiring minds want to know...

Louie

Bronco Guru
Somebody here ought to try some of those j**p mod pod speaker boxes that attach to the front legs of 6 pt. rollbars and let us know if they work or not. Hey, if not, you can send them back! I think they'll hold 5.25"speakers.

That's what i was going to do but ended up with the speaker enclosure on the tunnel and 6X9s in the back. It actually sounds pretty good. The Alpine amp helps...

LA Kevin

Loc.
Pasadena, CA
I know some use 'em, but after calling and speaking with some of the web-retailers, they don't seem to work w/ my cage.

jarrod

Loc.
Cedar Hills, Utah
I got mine off ebay just went and put wake tower in the search in the stereo section. They can be pricey but if you never have to replace them it is worth it i think.

rutwad

I installed mine in boxes I built to fit on the kick panels. They do not stick out any more than the rollbar. Hardly noticeable!!

The door seemed like a good alternative, but I sometimes remove my doors.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
here's what i did last week with my stock speaker hole in the dash. also i'm running indoor outdoor speakers on the rear fenderwells and i've been really happy with them, especially since they were free!

Attachments

• DSCN0642.JPG
    DSCN0642.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN0639.JPG
    DSCN0639.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 138