• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inner front fender removal question

fordfarm

Can you remove the front inner fenders without removing the actual fender? I did a half restore 3 years ago and left the inner fenders alone, now I have the engine out and realized how rusty they are. I would like to replace them but I don't want to pull the outer fenders. Any advice?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, but it's going to be tight. You have to drill out all the spot welds from the inside of the wheel well, including the brackets that attach it to the core support and the floor boards (which you do from inside the wheel well anyway). The problem will be the front spring and shock tower will make it really hard to get in there. You can try using a cut-off wheel or pneumatic cutter to take off most of the inner fender, then try drilling the welds from inside the engine bay. The welds are probably too big to use an air-chisel instead of a drill. I think I'd rather take the Fender off.

Last edited:

hammer

Bronco Guru
I think I'd rather take the Fender off.

x2

I would never attempt to do what your proposing. Way to much work and I'd be 99.9% certain that i'd mess up my fender in the process somehow.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
It's very easy to remove the outer fender and grill so I would just remove them first so they will be out of the way.

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
Just take off the fenders. You will find yourself taking twice the time trying to cheat them out. It will be a lot easier to do a good job this way too.