• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

installed NP435 motor won't turn

GubNi

Loc.
Northeast TN
I've been building a 77 Bronco from a frame and tub with mostly spare parts like full width axles and some wore out 35's. In general it's went pretty smooth other than complications from having a 5.0 engine instead of a 302. I have a newer fuel injected 5.0 motor that has the old carb intake on it and a NP435-205 from a 77 F-250. I used a bellhousing off a 68 Bronco. I bought a new flywheel and clutch kit for a 86 Bronco which should be right for the motor balancing and the starter teeth. When I put the 435 in I couldn't get it to go the last half inch. I put the bolts in and tightened them gently with a ratchet and they seemed to go ok. I went to start it tonight and it acted like the battery was low, so I hooked up the charger and set it to 200amp start. Still nothing. I put a socket on the crank and it won't turn over. I took out the starter and used a pry bar on the flywheel and it won't budge. I'm guessing the problem is with the transmission connecting to the motor. Any ideals?

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Where to start, I am sure I am forgetting something obvious.
How long ago did you install the transmission?
Are you starting it with clutch in or trans in neutral or both?
If you put the transmission in neutral can you turn it from the output?
Likewise with the trans in gear and clutch in can you turn it from the output?

I had the pilot bushing freeze on a car I was building one time when I let it sit for a six months. I also got in a hurry one time and slapped a transmission in with it stuck in two gears at the same time.

If it is all locked up pull the cover off the transmission and see if you have any end play.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I don't know where you are at on your project. If the body is off and it is easy to work on I would take it all apart and try to install the trans without the clutch or flywheel. Check the pilot bushing for the proper size and see if the trans installs without having to force anything . If that works then add the flywheel and clutch assy. without installing the trans (Just the bellhousing)and see if it turns. You might try taking the trans off at the bellhousing and see if what you have now turns. Process of elimination I guess.
Good Luck

bax

OP
OP
GubNi

GubNi

Loc.
Northeast TN
All of this has been built in the last few weeks. I had the trans in neutral. I also had the t-case in neutral.

The body is on. I was hoping to drive it around the yard tonight. I checked the pilot bearing to clear the trans input shaft before I installed it.

The plan for tomorrow after church is to take it all apart and go step by step, but man is that annoying.

That's for the input so far, I just can't think of anything that would cause it to lock up like this.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I just can't think of anything that would cause it to lock up like this.

You missed the throw-out bearing with the clutch fork while installing the trans.
And it could be binding on the trans front bearing retainer causing it to lock.

Something to check.