• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Intake & air filter for 351W to avoid hood clearance issues

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
What intake (from other trucks/vans/cars) is needed in order to avoid clearance issues with the hood? I do not want to put a body lift on, nor do I want to buy a new hood/cut the hood I already own.

What type of air filter works and carb?

I would like to run a carter 4 bbl if possible?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I run a carbed 351 with no lift and a stock hood
Autolite 2100 carb
Mustang Mach 1 dual plane 2 bbl manifold
Filter assembly from a 88 crown victoria fit one it.
Wont say it isnt a tight squeeze but it fits
TOFIC

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I run a 625 carter and the aircleaner has a recessed bottom and I use a 2"X14" K&N filter and it just clears. It is one of the chrome ones you can find most any parts house. Pep-boys ect. good luck and have fun. :D :D :D Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
saxman

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
wildbill, what ype of intake are you using? could I use an edelbrock performer intake with that air filter?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The lowest manifold available is off a van. I just put on an edelbrock elite triangle air cleaner and it sits pretty low. I'm currently working on an offy manifold that will fit a q-jet without the adapter so the wife can fit it under her hood. That's to get rid of the carter that can't survive at any angle.,

OP
OP
saxman

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
are you telling me that the carter does not do well on hills?

does the van intake affeect performacne compared to edelbrock performer intake?

how much of a sacrifice will i be making if I get rid of the 4 bl carb and intake and go with a van intake and but my stock bronco carb and air filter on?

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
I dont think you'd be sacrificing too much, maybe 10-15 hp , the stock motocrafts do very well...
I run a 351w performer intake, holley TA 670 , Ford 13" drop base air cleaner from BC's,1" BL , stock hood, with no clearance Issues.. ;)

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
saxman said:
are you telling me that the carter does not do well on hills?
i've seen many guys cursing edelbrock and carter afb carbs. when you're trying anything on a steep hill, they like to load up. i watched texaschane's bronco die many times at bronco daze '03 because of his edelbrock. he told me he went home and took it off.

if you're going to be doing any serious wheeling, get either a q-jet or truck avenger. personally i'd do the q-jet, i don't like holleys.

the best you could do if you can afford it would be EFI. i'm putting EFI on mine in about 2 weeks. looking forward to the mileage and dependability.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I pulled the carter off my 72(for a q-jet) works way better off road. It's a little better on gas to0.The wifes 66 still has the carter being it's a DD. It's soon to get a q-jet so she can keep up off road. the van manifold may not work as well on higher RPM but will have better low end. That's what the motor gurus I hang with have said.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
saxman said:
wildbill, what ype of intake are you using? could I use an edelbrock performer intake with that air filter?

:D :D :D Mine is all stock 69 4V intake. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p