• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

interchanging parts on an old lift kit. What should I do?

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
The PO installed what is supposed to be a 4 in. Rancho lift kit on my bronco. It has all the brackets in the front and everything. The rear has leafs no blocks. This thing rides like everything is welded tight. I was wondering if I could interchange the front coils to say BC's or something, and maybe get some new leafs in the back. Any ideas? I have Ranch 500 shocks also.

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
Sounds like it should work, considering you dont raise or lower the suspension height from where it is now. The coils and leafs should trade out no problem, its just upgrading.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
If you get the new springs you should still verify driveshaft length, brake line, and emergency brake cable lengths, etc while at full articulation because you will probably see a lot more travel from your new components.

OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
Thanks for the information....

I don't plan to wheel, but I will make sure lengths are correct just in case.... :) You never know. I may get an itch to do some very light wheeling. ;D

OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
could it be the shocks that are making it ride rough??? When I was finishing the rig. The PO didn't have them in. IT would bounce pretty good. Or should I say it had some movement. Once the 5000's were installed It stiffined up.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
If you don't plan on increasing the ride height, replace the shocks first before ordering the springs... You might not need springs.

OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
What shocks should I go with Mr. Joe. I will not be increasing the ride height. 4in. is plenty of lift. I want to get with you on the Body Lift anyway. You said for me to contact you when I wanted to get one.

If I replace the shocks. I am also thinking of the same type of rear setup you have on your rig. Will the replacement shocks still work for the inboard relocation if I do it a little while later?

Big Nuf

Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Before you go out and some more money......I put new 5000's on when I put new 5.5" leaf on the back. It road like crap. I wheeled with it one time and now they are just fine. I guess that had to be broke in.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
RKM said:
What shocks should I go with Mr. Joe. I will not be increasing the ride height. 4in. is plenty of lift. I want to get with you on the Body Lift anyway. You said for me to contact you when I wanted to get one.

If I replace the shocks. I am also thinking of the same type of rear setup you have on your rig. Will the replacement shocks still work for the inboard relocation if I do it a little while later?

I'd suggest installing inboard kit first and then measuring before ordering shocks. I'm running the Rancho 9000's. I didn't think I'd like them, but with the adjustments it's working out good. If I decide to change, I'll try the Bilsteins.