• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Interesting Steering column (04 Wrangler)

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
So, I also have a 04 Rubicon (leave now if you hate Jeep’s ;) ). I started to have trouble with turn signals and found out the emergency flashers would be out as well. Playing with the controls would sometimes fix it, but hot days seemed to knock them out for good. Anyway, that’s not what this is about. In taking the covers off the steering column and dash I was kinda struck by how easy it appears to service most of the electrical components. Two screws gets the column covers off with access to the turn signal side switch assembly and the multifunction assembly on the right. Looks like you can pull either of these out to replace now. There is a collector ring for the cruise controls and likely the airbag that would require steering wheel removal. Under dash the tilt lock and mounting bolts (4) are easy to get at and the u-joint is inside just under the mount.

Took only a few minutes and the wheels were turning in my head as I need to put a tilt in my 72. ;) I think it would require cutting he bottom out of the dash because of the difference in designs and the width of the pod and I have no idea if the steering wheel can be changed to a standard wheel without airbag. Electrical could also be an issue. Not sure if there’s more then switches in these assemblies yet.

Having taken a 87 GM tilt column apart to put the tilt back together I just appreciated the serviceability of the Jeep. I welcome any thoughts on whether the gains would be worth the pain. :)

Scott

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
So, I also have a 04 Rubicon (leave now if you hate Jeep’s ;) ). I started to have trouble with turn signals and found out the emergency flashers would be out as well. Playing with the controls would sometimes fix it, but hot days seemed to knock them out for good. Anyway, that’s not what this is about. In taking the covers off the steering column and dash I was kinda struck by how easy it appears to service most of the electrical components. Two screws gets the column covers off with access to the turn signal side switch assembly and the multifunction assembly on the right. Looks like you can pull either of these out to replace now. There is a collector ring for the cruise controls and likely the airbag that would require steering wheel removal. Under dash the tilt lock and mounting bolts (4) are easy to get at and the u-joint is inside just under the mount.

Took only a few minutes and the wheels were turning in my head as I need to put a tilt in my 72. ;) I think it would require cutting he bottom out of the dash because of the difference in designs and the width of the pod and I have no idea if the steering wheel can be changed to a standard wheel without airbag. Electrical could also be an issue. Not sure if there’s more then switches in these assemblies yet.

Having taken a 87 GM tilt column apart to put the tilt back together I just appreciated the serviceability of the Jeep. I welcome any thoughts on whether the gains would be worth the pain. :)

Scott

I could be wrong but by 04 most of the electrical functions were controlled by the TIPM {Totally Integrated Power Module} meaning multifunction switch outputs went to the TIPM and then the tipm carried out the task...The TIPM also is part of the vehicle computer network,meaning it does other task that maybe the PCM is telling it to do like turn on fuel pump, turn on AC compressor,, command electric fan if equiped,, and so on.....So if i;m correct the multifunction switch outputs are low current circuits and may not do well....just a thought...I can look up a wiring diagram next week if need be,,,

Happy 4th ,,Ed..
[

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I could be wrong but by 04 most of the electrical functions were controlled by the TIPM {Totally Integrated Power Module} meaning multifunction switch outputs went to the TIPM and then the tipm carried out the task...The TIPM also is part of the vehicle computer network,meaning it does other task that maybe the PCM is telling it to do like turn on fuel pump, turn on AC compressor,, command electric fan if equiped,, and so on.....So if i;m correct the multifunction switch outputs are low current circuits and may not do well....just a thought...I can look up a wiring diagram next week if need be,,,

Happy 4th ,,Ed..
[

Thanks Ed! Yes, I can imagine this year having integration at that level so a lot of it would likely need relay or solid state control to convert if you even could. I’m thinking the turn signal system may be conventional as it does have the flasher relay in there. Looking at Mopar’s on line site the turn signal control and multifunction switch are listed as discontinued. That’s not a good sign. They do list the clockspring (what I refer to as the slip ring) and that alone is over $300.
The two switch assembly’s might not be far behind. In the end, not looking feasible. I may see if I can find a little more info just to have for future reference and to know what’s in there better.

I did find out my problem is a connection issue. Wiggling the flasher gets everything working but is still intermittent when I play with it so either in the flasher itself or the connector. Gotta pick up a flasher to see!
Thanks again!
Scott